FORUMS: list search recent posts

With roughly $3,500 to spend, what digital video solution is best?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Kingman
With roughly $3,500 to spend, what digital video solution is best?
on May 24, 2010 at 4:48:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to figure out what to get for a new digital video camera. I'm mostly thinking 5D MkII. The reasons are:

Interchangeable lenses, I have a number of Canon 35 lenses already.
Great low light
Inconspicuous for shooting video. New York teens tend to get real annoying when they see a video camera, but not what looks like a regular SLR.

I've also looked at the XH A1 from Canon and the Panasonic AG HVX200A

So really, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe I get a 7d and save the loot, or buy a few more lenses and a bigger CF card. I don't know, you tell me.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: With roughly $3,500 to spend, what digital video solution is best?
on May 24, 2010 at 9:07:30 pm

This has been discussed many times. Search on the 5D and 7D and lots of info will be available.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 25, 2010 at 2:18:19 pm

You can't really say what's best until you know what the job is that the rig is intended for. DSLRs are great for some things and less so for others.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jun 7, 2010 at 2:54:42 am

[John Kingman] "New York teens tend to get real annoying when they see a video camera, but not what looks like a regular SLR."

What's really really annoying is when they decide they want their own camera - - specifically, YOUR camera. Given your subject matter and time of day (night) shooting, I'd buy a 7d and invest the savings in a big scary assistant.

Less to lose, always nice to have some crew, and safer for you.

You can get some fast primes for the 7d.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]