FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tyler Middle Mount in Bell 407; advice please?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Woodhead
Tyler Middle Mount in Bell 407; advice please?
on May 13, 2010 at 11:32:34 pm

Upcoming shoot entails aerials, and just found out the ship will be a Bell 407. Planning on renting a Middle Mount; will prep/balance the rig with my camera (HPX500) day before, and get some tips from the rental shop, but was hoping to get some 411 from folks here as well.

Tips, gotchas, etc? Suggestions on 1080/60i versus 1080/30p?

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
http://www.CoolNewMedia.net
Quantel-Avid-FCP-3D-Crayola
Panasonic HPX500

Return to posts index

John Major
Re: Tyler Middle Mount in Bell 407; advice please?
on May 14, 2010 at 12:48:58 am

Hi Bob, What type of ariels are you looking to get? Middle mounts work well when you're running along side a subject such as a car. Often people make the mistake of renting a middle mount and are looking for those nice looking ahead shots like you see when showing the layout of a golf course. A nose mount it what you would want for this. You can do this with a side mount if you have the pilot crab at about 40 degrees so you have more of a head on shot. The results are usually not as good though. I assume you know this, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
Having the rig balanced properly is a must. You should have enough weight with the HPX500, but take your time with this and add weight if you need. Pilots are another big variable that I often have to deal with. I have one guy that hangs workers on high voltage power lines with when not flying around camera gear. He's also a retired military pilot. He can do anything I ask. Without an experienced guy or gal on the stick, I always takes longer due to re-setting shots and doing extra takes. So be prepared. If it's the type of shoot where you only get one shot at it, go over it in detail ahead of time with the pilot so he/she knows exactly what you expect. Also try to get in the air early enough to do a few dry runs and block it out. Both for you and the pilot. Once the gyro is powered up, take a few min. to practice and get the feel.

Overall... HAVE FUN!!! Depending on the weather, it can be a lot of fun hanging halfway out the side of a helicopter!

Good luck,
John Major

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on May 14, 2010 at 2:12:26 am

Thanks John. I was aware that side angles, even crabbed, don't give as good POV perspective as nose mounts, but from what I've read (correct me if I'm wrong), you need to move up to Wescam/Cineflex for stabilized nose shots. Out of the budget. Unless the Tyler nose mount would do it well?

Funny you should mention golf courses, as that's on the shot list, also river, buildings, parks, lake... basically aerials of a city. So I was expecting to need a mix of orbits, some tracks, and POV. Was hoping that in the edit wouldn't need shots of more than :10 or so, and the crabbed POV would suffice.

Im hoping to have 1st chat with the pilot within a few days.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on May 16, 2010 at 7:25:46 am

I've been shooting with Tyler nose mounts for years and have never had anything but great results. If the chopper is hovering, you will see a little side to side shake but once it's moving forward, all of that goes away. A Wescam is useful at high elevation with a very long lens.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on May 19, 2010 at 4:18:36 pm

Well, as the shot list is coming together, it's leaning more towards orbits & tracks (with a couple of high speed tracks as well), with POV nose being in the (slight) minority. So, still looking like Middle mount.

VERY OPEN to tips & gotchas! I'm all ears!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]