FORUMS: list search recent posts

digital blowup w canon7d

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james bernard
digital blowup w canon7d
on May 11, 2010 at 12:57:57 am

I am doing a film with the canon 7d and panasonic 150. The director just asked me are we okay for blowup if it gets picked up at a festival.
Is this possible or are we going straight to dvd. If possible is there anything I need to know on the front end.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: digital blowup w canon7d
on May 11, 2010 at 5:10:53 am

[james bernard] "is there anything I need to know on the front end."

Yes, tons. You need to talk with the lab that will be striking the film print before you ever pull trigger.

Different labs do things different ways... and while it's all theoretically the same, they accomplish the same results in slightly different ways... and different labs have different requirements and suggestions. Most every lab that can do a film-out from video will highly recommend that you bring them in for at least a consult (which many are happy to do, gratis) before prinicpal photography starts. There are so many pecularities to shooting video for a film strike, and the lab will be able to advise you about lots of little tweaks that should be done at the photography stage that will maximize the look of the film print... things that would make no difference if you were only staying in the ones-and-zeros world, but will make a big difference when the image actually goes to good old-fashioned celluloid.

Give 'em a jingle as early in the pre-prod process as you can.

By the way, I just heard from a friend tonight who had a 35mm print struck for his film that had 5D principal photography and 7D for the second-unit shots. He was blown away, said the results on the big screen were phenominal.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

james bernard
on May 12, 2010 at 4:37:11 pm

thx. Calling the lab today.

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on May 17, 2010 at 8:21:30 pm

For" film output quality" check this out. Should blow you away. I know it did me. The D5MkII is definitely on my list for new production gear!

http://www.zacuto.com/shootout

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]