FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about Sharpness!!

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Khoshtinat
Question about Sharpness!!
on May 4, 2010 at 12:58:38 pm

Dear All

three months ago ive shot a music video using RED, although the music video itself came out good , im not satisfied enough with the sharpness of the faces and etc.

you can check out my video here:

Kanye West's Good life MV inspired me alot for my project but i couldnt get the sharpness that he has in his video for mine :

Im more like a post production guy, but since im directing now its so important for me to know what have i done wrong , was it in shooting or was it something that i could fix in color correcting.
Can anyone help me on how to get such result?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Question about Sharpness!!
on May 4, 2010 at 3:21:19 pm

Well, it's hard to judge sharpness via YouTube, of course...

I can tell though that it might look a little soft. What about the raw footage though? Are you saying that the camera raw was soft as well?

I would think that with the RED that sharpness should never be an issue. Due to the slow-mo were you shooting RED 2K? What kind of lenses were you using?

Are your sure your focus was razor sharp on location? If you were shooting 4K with very fast lenses wide open with some longer primes your depth of field could literally be only an inch deep and nailing the shots would need a pretty darn good focus puller... but the shots that looked softish to me seemed to primarily be the shorter focal length shots.

Puzzling...

Of course though, if your camera raw was sharp, then it's a post-production issue.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on May 4, 2010 at 3:24:15 pm

man, it's tough to say, lookin' at a youtube clip. How's in look in your studio? Is vimeo out of the question as far as online clippage? Were you happy with focus as you were looking at the raw footage?
You kept it uncompressed in post, right?
The clip you sent to youtube was cool?

Return to posts index

Fred Khoshtinat
on May 4, 2010 at 4:23:53 pm

well,

The DOP used Nikon ZF Mount Zeiss Lenses
it was in 2K that the production house we were working with converted it into AVI uncompressed. And i used After Effects and Premiere afterwards

The Raw footage looks a soft as well.

you can switch to HD on youtube i think its clear enough or i may be paranoid about this issue!

Return to posts index

Thomas Kist
on May 4, 2010 at 9:13:27 pm

Great work in post! Where is this group based?
Why didn't you shoot with a smaller sensor camera?
With all the greenscreen and post manipulation there is no D.o.F. effect at all.
I'm pretty sure in these circumstances a PDW 800 or F23 or Pana equivalent would have given you a much sharper image.
In 2K the Red is notoriously fuzzy.
Keep up the good work!

Thomas Kist
Freelance D.o.P
Amsterdam,The Netherlands
PDW-700,Letus ultimate,FCP 6
http://www.thomaskist.com

Return to posts index

Kerry Brown
on May 16, 2010 at 5:40:28 pm

[Thomas Kist] "In 2K the Red is notoriously fuzzy."

Really? Explain please.

KB

Return to posts index

Fred Khoshtinat
on May 4, 2010 at 4:26:27 pm

PS : im sure that the focus puller did a good job

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 4, 2010 at 5:04:46 pm

I'm not a RED user so this may be a dumb question... but does the camera/mount have a backfocus adjustment?

I ask, because I usually shoot PL mount cine lenses with either a P+S Technik Pro35 or Mini35 adapter. With those, there is a backfocus adjustment that must be spot-on or the footage will be soft no matter what you do. Fortunately, with my gear it's easy to adjust once and then you generally never have to think about it again. Although I check it occasionally, I have never had to adjust it since the first time.

You can use a Seimen's star chart...

...and a good monitor to make sure you camera focus (and backfocus) is set up properly.

Did the footage look soft while you were shooting? Was it soft in the location monitor?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Randy Lee
on May 4, 2010 at 5:53:42 pm

I've seen it mentioned several times on Reduser that you should let the camera get up to operating temp before doing things such as backfocus adjustment, and then to double-check it if you switch into a radically different environment, e.g. from -20 degrees to inside of a warm building. That could be part of the cause of the problem.

Was any sharpening added in post? That could be all that you have to do to get it to the point that no one who doesn't know would notice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]