FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using a 1/2" lens on a 2/3" camera?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Martin
Using a 1/2" lens on a 2/3" camera?
on Apr 20, 2010 at 12:14:34 am

Hello all,

I'm thinking about an HPX500 P2 camera as a big brother to my HPX300 camera (which I really like!). Until I can scrape up enough to buy a high end lens, however, I'm contemplating using an existing 1/2" lens that I already own. It's a very nice wide lens (4.6 x 12) with a 1/2" mount.

I currently use it on my HPX 300 (1/3" camera) with an adapter - so it becomes longer that I'd prefer, but the shallower depth is really nice compared to the stock fujinon lens that came with camera.

What might I expect from using the 1/2" lens with the 2/3" camera? Would it become too wide? Fish eye? Is it even possible? Any thoughts and feedback are most welcomed.

Thanks,
Steve

Production is fun - but lets not forget: Nobody ever died on the video table!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Using a 1/2" lens on a 2/3" camera?
on Apr 20, 2010 at 12:23:15 am

Not possible, neither will the mount work nor will the lens cover the imager.

JS

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 20, 2010 at 1:26:28 am

Not that he ever needs it, but just confirming John's answer here.

Even if the lens could be mounted, it would be highly unlikely that it would cover the frame.

That is, the lens would not project a large enough image onto the sensor. At best, the corners would probably be quite badly vignetted.

You can almost always go "down" with lens fomats, but can rarely go up. That is, as long as it can be mounted you can use most any 35mm-format lens on a 16mm camera. But you can't use a lens made specifically for the 16mm format on a 35mm camera. The circle of image that the lens creates on the film frame isn't big enough to cover the frame from edge-to-edge and corner-to-corner.

That's the same thing that is happening with your 1/2" lens. You can go "down" and use it on a 1/3" camera, but you can't go "up" to 3/4".

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steve Martin
on Apr 20, 2010 at 1:38:27 am

Yep, that makes complete sense. Thanks to both you and John for the insight.

Best,
Steve

Production is fun - but lets not forget: Nobody ever died on the video table!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]