FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mini Worrall Geared head vrs Arri head

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hector Mata
Mini Worrall Geared head vrs Arri head
on Apr 6, 2010 at 11:09:49 pm

Hello all,
Any of you have used the Mini Worrall Geared head and the Arri head? For those of you that have used them your input (Pros and Cons of those two) would be greatly appreciate it
Best,
Hector

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Mini Worrall Geared head vrs Arri head
on Apr 7, 2010 at 1:11:50 am

I haven't used the Arri, but the Mini Worrall is a great head. Since I can't give you any comparison info, I can only offer a guess that the Worrall might be easier to find since there seem to be quite a lot of them floating around.

Personally, I'm only fair with a geared head so I don't use them much. I'm always amazed when I get to watch one of those real master operators at the wheels... some of those guys can practically write their names with the things.

I also always thought geared heads were completely "backwards intuitive." It always seemed to me that the side wheel should be the tilt wheel (since it rotates in the same plane as a tilt) and that the rear wheel should be the pan wheel... instead of the other way around. It screws with my brain. But that's just me.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Hector Mata
on Apr 7, 2010 at 4:23:14 am

Thank you Todd. Price wise also, I noticed... I am still investigating and came up to my attention the Technovision head Mark III. So right now for the budget I am managing it is between that one and the mini Worrall.
Thanks again for your quick response.
Hector

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
on Apr 7, 2010 at 10:18:11 am

There is also another manufacturer that is making geared heads as well:

http://www.gearnex.com/

The price might be a little bit more favorable but I have not had a chance to demo one. But I do love the Arri heads and those lonely nights of practicing with a laser pointer, trying to draw perfect figure eights on the wall. Oh the humanity.....

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 7, 2010 at 3:11:54 pm

That GearNex head looks pretty neat... and the price is definitely attractive. I hadn't heard of them before, they seem to be brand new.

Their website is a little sparse, though... especially of technical info. There is no info at all (at least none that I could find) about their gearboxes... I'd sure be interested to know how many speeds it has.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Murrel
on Dec 5, 2013 at 8:16:09 pm

Todd,

It's not just you - I've always thought the wheels were backwards.

Also, the tilt wheel seems to work in the opposite way that intuition would lead one to think.

-Jerry Murrel
Cinevision AR
Little Rock

Return to posts index

Bruce Greene
on Apr 16, 2010 at 9:17:52 pm

Hector,

I've used both, though it's been many years since I've seen a mini worrall.

From my experience, the only gear heads that work with sufficient smoothness are the Panahead (not for sale) and the Arrihead. The original Worrall is pretty good, but is very heavy and doesn't have 3 gears, and I think you'll want all three gears.

I remember the mini as being kind of sticky and wobbly. The old mini mitchell head was just sticky. Sticky is not good in a gear head.

Varicam/Steadicam Owner
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.brucealangreene.com

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
on Apr 19, 2010 at 3:01:41 am

Hector,
There is no question that the Arri gear head is the cadillac of "The Wheels". Assuming that is the arri 2 head. The panahead is good as well but certainly not for sale. The arri 2 is compact and the wheels have a bit more adjustment then the worrall.

Not sure what camera you are using but go for the arri if you are looking to get serious about gear heads.

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
http://www.toddmcmullen.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Bower
on Aug 4, 2010 at 1:46:27 am

I've owned both the Mini Worrall and Arri Head 2. The mini worrall served me well for years, but the Arri Head is in a whole different league. The major differences I found from an operators standpoint were:
1. The Arri feels like the exact same amount of force is needed on the wheels to pan or tilt. On the Worrall, the tilt always seemed to require more force. After a bit of time using it I got used to it and could operate well. As you know the tilt on the Worrall is a cable drive, not a direct gear, but it does work well.
2. The overall smoothness of the Arri is way better.

Also if you overweight the Worrall the cable can potentially slip. Not a good thing.
And, as I'm sure you know, the Arri is many $$$ more.

This does not effect my comments above, but I am considering selling my beloved Arri Head 2. I'm just not using it enough in the kind of work I've moved into. Let me know if you are interested.

Return to posts index

Stephen Bower
on Aug 4, 2010 at 1:47:14 am

I've owned both the Mini Worrall and Arri Head 2. The mini worrall served me well for years, but the Arri Head is in a whole different league. The major differences I found from an operators standpoint were:
1. The Arri feels like the exact same amount of force is needed on the wheels to pan or tilt. On the Worrall, the tilt always seemed to require more force. After a bit of time using it I got used to it and could operate well. As you know the tilt on the Worrall is a cable drive, not a direct gear, but it does work well.
2. The overall smoothness of the Arri is way better.

Also if you overweight the Worrall the cable can potentially slip. Not a good thing.
And, as I'm sure you know, the Arri is many $$$ more.

This does not effect my comments above, but I am considering selling my beloved Arri Head 2. I'm just not using it enough in the kind of work I've moved into. Let me know if you are interested.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]