FORUMS: list search recent posts

Continuous Movement with changing subject

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Beastall
Continuous Movement with changing subject
on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:46:57 pm

I have a project coming up and the client wants to have a person walking down the street with a dog. They then want this person to become someone else without the background changing or jumping at all, so a continuous motion. This person will then become someone else, and so on. Considering we will need to see feet, what's the best way to shoot this? Would it need to be on greenscreen on some kind of treadmill? Because I am concerned it could end up looking quite weak. Thanks.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Continuous Movement with changing subject
on Mar 30, 2010 at 3:25:22 pm

Ah, the magic of movies! You are correct that you need to shoot the foreground people walking as a green screen, either on the treadmill (green floor), or traveling on a green cyc and captured with a motion control camera to accurately repeat the movement (maybe use a click track to time steps). In addition you'll need to shoot the background plate at exactly the same speed of movement to match.

If I got this assignment, I'd hire the best VFX Supervisor I could find, presumably one who has done something very similar before.

BTW, they better be willing to spend some $$$. My guess is about $100K, maybe more!

JS

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
on Mar 30, 2010 at 8:41:46 pm

John is 100% correct, I have worked on similar high end FX shots and we charge a lot of money for that stuff.

We use Motion control rigs with timed movements and roto all background plates. Than we composite all the elements together very meticulously.

It is not easy or cheap. Listen to John, anything else will look cheap and corny.

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

Phil Beastall
on Mar 31, 2010 at 2:17:51 pm

Thanks guys. Appreciate your advice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]