FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is wrong with my greenscreen footage?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert pukas
What is wrong with my greenscreen footage?
on Mar 22, 2010 at 7:34:43 pm

Hello,
I am trying to make green screen studio. Painted the cardboard ( dont mind not too bright colour, I am getting my paint redone), lighting too was setup in 10 minutes, but the video is somehow bad

I uploaded few seconds of test video here
http://www.mediafire.com/?ymuja3qgz02

If anybody could download and check the video I would be grateful for any though how to make it better.

I am shooting with betacam sony bvw d600p camcorder and capturing with deckling studio via component.

Return to posts index

Hunter Mossman
Re: What is wrong with my greenscreen footage?
on Mar 23, 2010 at 1:23:42 am

The avi you uploaded dosn't seem to play. Maybe you should try posting a test on youtube and sending us a link etc. But in any case here are some questions that would help us help you.

-How big is the room your shooting in?
-What type of green paint are you using?
-What are you painting it on? (You mentioned cardboard?? Explain.)
-What is your lighting setup? (what type of fixtures? How and where are they placed?)
-How far is your subject from your background?
-What stop is your green at relative to your subject?

Although software has come a long way, green screen work takes time and patience and practice to get right. Things can be fixed in post but it takes a lot of time and money much of which can be avoided by taking the time to setup and light everything properly.

Hunter Mossman
Director of Photography
http://www.huntermossman.com

Return to posts index

Robert pukas
on Mar 23, 2010 at 8:15:22 am

Hello,

My green screen is beeing made in studio which is 25 x 15 metres, so I have enough space to move around camera and lights. Screen itself I want to be 3 metres tall and 6 metres wide, and 5 metres deep. So I can move away from green screen to avoid spill. I have many plywood boards left from last project so I use them.
Lighing is custom made fluorescent lights. I made two rows of 4 lamps( each lamp has 4 x14watt bulbs, intensity ~2800k) and put it above and in front of screen. about 5 metres away.

Paint is custom made matt paint for plywood, I didnt get very bright colour so I am getting paint redone, first tries showed that paint is not reflective, so I think it will be good.

I cant tell now how my green screen is lighted related to talent, but my talent is lighted less than green screen

And my problem is that then I try to key, my talent keys too, especialy then they wear black( and ussually I will have to key black)

Ill try to reupload the video.

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Mar 23, 2010 at 3:13:20 pm

If your talent wearing black is getting keyed out, I'd say that you've got some major lighting issues. You want to minimize strong shadows as much as possible. Also, remember that the key doesn't have to be perfect; if there's a dark shadow way off to the side (not touching the talent), use a garbage matte to get rid of it instead of compensating with your software. What software are you using, by the way?

A Betacam captured through component should be giving you great results, so I doubt it's an equipment issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]