FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lux Settings explanation for HD video production...

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Borgen
Lux Settings explanation for HD video production...
on Mar 18, 2010 at 8:15:05 am

Hello folks!
I'm looking for a basic explanation about Lux settings, (numbers assigned to specs) on different cameras. For instance, my old Sony A1JU prosumer model had a horrible minimum lux setting of 10 or 12.

I'm looking to purchase a Sony Z5 or Z7 HD camera which is listed at 1.5 lux for minimum illumination.

SO, with these specs out of the way :) How much better mathematically is a 1.5 lux setting than a 10 lux? Are the numbers proportional that 1.5 lux is 6x better than the 10 lux...or is the math more exponential like f-stops of light?

Any advice or 2 cents is welcomed.

-Cheers

Mike

Return to posts index

Hunter Mossman
Re: Lux Settings explanation for HD video production...
on Mar 18, 2010 at 10:20:58 pm

From what I remember, a camera's Lux rating is the cameras ability to create an image from 1 candle 1 meter away from the subject being lit. Therefore, a camera with a rating of 1 Lux can supposedly create an "expectable image" with one candle lighting a subject from 1 meter away. A camera with a Lux rating of 10 would need 10 candles and so on. But what a manufacturer considers an "expectable image" might not be what you and I think is expectable so you always have to do your own tests and rate cameras based on what you consider an expectable image to be.

Hunter Mossman
Director of Photography
http://www.huntermossman.com

Return to posts index

Hunter Mossman
Re: Lux Settings explanation for HD video production...
on Mar 20, 2010 at 5:16:04 pm

"Acceptable" not expectable. Darn spell check!

Hunter Mossman
Director of Photography
http://www.huntermossman.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]