FORUMS: list search recent posts

Car advertisement style studio look lighting (on a budget)

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cian Daly
Car advertisement style studio look lighting (on a budget)
on Mar 7, 2010 at 10:38:39 pm

Hello to all Creative Cow users.

This is my first post so a little about my background: I trained in a small film school on prosumer hdv cameras as well as 16mm Aatons here in Ireland. I'm currently trying to break into the industry and have landed a job making pre-recorded sequences for projection during a theatre performance.
The project will be shot on red for those that want to know. One of the images I need to light will be that of a car, something like a Subaru Imprezza, against a black backdrop. The project has very little funding (the red is borrowed for the day) and the city I am situated has only one low budget rental facility, no studio facilities. My thoughts for lighting the car would be to find a disused warehouse which has plenty of skylights, erect a black backdrop, use the overhead skylights as the main source and then build up the lines and curves on the car using reflectors, redheads, maybe a diva light or two if I can get them, and even some funky stuff like christmas tree lights. The car will be highly polished so most of the lighting will be used to create a specular highlight to give the car it's shape.
I would be grateful of any input from someone that is knowledgeable on automobile photography. Any links to tutorials or example pics would also be greatly appreciated.

Cian

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Car advertisement style studio look lighting (on a budget)
on Mar 8, 2010 at 7:30:57 pm

What's wrong with using the sun, and just hanging the black cloth outside? Possbily with a large butterfly over the car made of pvc pipe and tulle?

Return to posts index

Paul Hudson
Re: Car advertisement style studio look lighting (on a budget)
on Mar 9, 2010 at 4:21:23 am

Most like to light cars with a very large soft source. when I do this I suspend a 20X20 silk as low over the car as possible. Above the twenty by I use Space lights.

The lighting may not be an option with your budget but use the sky lights through a nice soft translucent cloth.

Paul Hudson
Lizardlandvideo.com
Phoenix Video Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]