FORUMS: list search recent posts

How would you shoot this?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
How would you shoot this?
on Mar 3, 2010 at 7:51:37 pm

It "looks" like all one take, I'm guessing that the curtains bit is an obvious point where you could do an edit... but my question is more along the lines of... is this whole thing one guy with a steadicam? MAN, talk about pressure!

And how to light all this without letting the lights show? I'm as impressed by what I don't see, as by what is shown.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: How would you shoot this?
on Mar 3, 2010 at 8:25:38 pm

How would I shoot that?

Well, first, I'd hire whomever did shoot it. Great job.

As for lighting... the lights do show. You can see a lot of flos in the ceiling, and a few smaller instruments (fresnels, maybe) in some of the shots.

OK GO! is not only one of my fav bands, but they have some great videos as well. Always creative.

I couldn't find much info about the video side of the production, but here's a little bit about the other side of the camera here....

http://www.spinner.com/2010/02/25/ok-go-behind-the-scenes-exclusive-video/

At first I thought it definitely wasn't Steadicam... as the horizon was rock solid, no "floating horizon" that is the giveaway of Steadicam shots. I was sure it was motion control, or Louma Crane like in the Feist "1234" video. But... there was really no physical room for that hardware in the set... and then later we did see some floating horizons, so I think it was Steadicam.

The guys went through the motions a zillion times, but only completely did the sequence successfully three times. And camera wasn't good for all of those. In the end the video was made of, if I recall correctly, three different takes. At some points in each of the take there were also sections that had to be accelerated (or slowed) to make the action/cam/music all stay in sync.

Good stuff.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 3, 2010 at 10:21:00 pm

I found another blurb that said 60 takes, mostly before the tire finishes rolling down the trough, activating electrical things. You can see extra, damaged pianos and TV's in those sections that give away previous bad takes. And the singers have alraedy been hit with still-wet paint obviously.

This is just way cool. A long time ago, I wanted to do a concept music video where the band was on a hilltop and the entire thing would be one 360-degree pan or locked off circular dolly, timed to fit the duration of the song, with various parts and singers staged at different distances from the camera so they would be visible for the right duration of the shot.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 3, 2010 at 10:55:46 pm

What I think is wild is that OK GO! has always been famous for videos that are super-duper-ubercreative, fun and clever... but have neither been technically or financially all that challenging.

Obviously, this one was both. Their "Here it goes again" video was made for a thousand dollars with one locked-down camera... and at one time it had 50 million YouTube views. Probably more by now.

What I've always loved about these guys is that above the fact that they really are a kickin' band... they do not take themselves too seriously. At all.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
on Mar 3, 2010 at 10:52:25 pm

Steadicam 100%.... on the scene with the silver bowling ball you can see the operator running in low mode.

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 3, 2010 at 10:57:54 pm

Good call, Emre. You have better eyes than me.

I had tried to decipher all the reflections in the ball, but I couldn't make out any details other than the three lighting instruments.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]