FORUMS: list search recent posts

Out of phase effect?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john shand
Out of phase effect?
on Feb 25, 2010 at 8:34:18 pm

It was used in saving private ryan and mark of cain. It makes all the highlighted areas look smeared. Is it possible to create this effect with a digital camcorder, i know how its done on a film camera i just wonder if you can do the same thing with digital or would it have to be done in post?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Out of phase effect?
on Feb 25, 2010 at 10:13:13 pm

Hmmm, I'm not sure how I'd do it in camera with video. Film, yes.. video, no.

However it'd be much easier and controllable in post. Magic Bullet in particular has a couple of smears that look pretty much exactly like that. There's probably a couple of other ways as well.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Out of phase effect?
on Feb 26, 2010 at 4:15:05 pm

Back in the imaging-tube camera video days, you spent big money for very educated tech guys with a double-E degree and a green screwdriver, who's main job was to PREVENT this effect from happening:-)

You had all manner of controls on tube camera to make things bloom in various ways.

Modern cams have some engineering sub-menus with settings you could deliberately throw out of whack and save as a template on a memory card as a "look", I suppose, but really this is way easier and more controllable to do in post, by playing with the color channels separately, I should think. If you can shoot for example in Red camera RAW format, your post choices for this kind of thing are unlimited.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]