FORUMS: list search recent posts

image stabilizers for Long Lens filming?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernie Kovacs
image stabilizers for Long Lens filming?
on Feb 18, 2010 at 11:19:57 pm

I'm looking for any advice on image stabilizers for long lens wildlife filming (I'm using a sony F-900 camera).

Has anyone tried the Canon image stabilized lenses, (such as on their 40 x lens)?

I've tried the Built-in stabilizer on Fujinon HA42 x 9.7 lens. Though I didn't have time to do much careful evaluation, I didn't feel like it helped much with camera jitter in moderate wind (the main challenge in the Natural history filming I do).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: image stabilizers for Long Lens filming?
on Feb 18, 2010 at 11:44:46 pm

Hi Ernie,

From what I understand, the Canon and Fujonon "Image Stabilizers" are really meant for newsie shooting from temporary platforms where people moving around amplifies the jiggling. Fighting the wind I think is another story. The best thing I think you could do for nature shooting is to use a heady dity tripod and legs, like the steel Ronford legs and as large a head as you can manage, especially with the 40x and 42x's. I assume you're using some kind of sled for support too. In addition, you can build a wind "blind" using 2x Nets in 4x4 frames. I've seen these used effectively to break the wind for steadycam operators who are also susceptible to the winds effect. All you might really need is one 4x4 2x Net up-wind of the camera and lens.

JS

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 19, 2010 at 5:48:10 am

As well as what John said, the only thing that I can think of to add to his suggestions might be addition of Kenyon gyros. http://www.ken-lab.com/

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 19, 2010 at 3:11:51 pm

Secong the gyro suggestion.

Hey, I though psuedonyms were verboten here?

Return to posts index

Ernie Kovacs
on Feb 19, 2010 at 4:07:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

It's often just me carrying all the equipment, so weight is an issue and often there's nobody to hold a wind-blind. But I am going to build a wind-blind for the times I do have help.

My name really is Ernie Kovacs :-)

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 19, 2010 at 5:55:45 pm

Which gorilla suit did you wear? :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]