FORUMS: list search recent posts

interlacing artifact???

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Beever
interlacing artifact???
on Feb 10, 2010 at 11:36:50 am

Hi,

I have an issue at the moment where when filming striped clothing/garments there is a lot of artifact and what seems like interlacing problems with the information on the stripes.

I am shooting on a Sony Z7 at 1080i, now i know that shooting progressive or shooting at 1080P would maybe resolve the problem a lot but there is no option on this camera, there is a progressive scan at 1080i that we are shooting at but it seems a bit gimmicky. The company doing this bought the cameras before I joined the team so there is nothing I can do about that.
It also gets worse when compressing for the web, we are compressing in H.264 for streaming at 1mbps.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on fixing this problem or can help me out a little??

Cheers

Tom

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: interlacing artifact???
on Feb 10, 2010 at 8:33:30 pm

It might not be an interlacing issue. Are you perhaps seeing moire patterns. This often happens when shooting tight checks or stripes. Men's patterned ties are a common culprit. Here's an example. You'll notice the effect increases as you approach the center of the circle as the lines get closer. You might try adding a small amount of blur to reduce the effect. I've also heard of folks using an unsharp mask filter. If this is indeed moire, the best solution is to advise clients not to wear clothing that will cause moire. During the shoot playing with the focus can help, but that rarely eliminates the moire.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Tom Beever
on Feb 11, 2010 at 11:56:40 am

Yeah it seems to be moire. I've already used and unsharp mask, and it made little difference, we will just have to try and avoid those peices of clothing.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 11, 2010 at 3:36:07 pm

[Tom Beever] "we will just have to try and avoid those peices of clothing."

That's probably the best and easiest solution.

During the last few years of his run on The Tonight Show, Johnny Carson had a houndstooth jacket that he would wear about once every two or three weeks. The thing created moire patterns like crazy, it was practically painful to watch.

I'm sure the production staff was well aware of it, it was impossible to avoid seeing... my only guess is that no one was brave enough to criticize the King's clothing choice. A simple wardrobe change would have solved what was a continuing and pretty severe problem.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]