FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera for Chroma Key

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Thomas Phillips
Camera for Chroma Key
on Feb 9, 2010 at 7:26:15 pm

I'm going to be filming material for a Sci-Fi webseries later this year that's going to involve some green screen work. I need to buy an HD camera for this. I have to decide between solid state or HDV (budgetary limitations). Current HDV contender is the Sony HVR-V1U (has true 24p mode) and the current solid state contender is the Panasonic AG-HMC150 (records AVCHD to SD-Card media). Has anyone tried to do green screen work with either of these cameras? Can anyone recommend a camera for green screen work between $2k and $4k?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Camera for Chroma Key
on Feb 9, 2010 at 9:25:29 pm

If any of the cameras have 4:2:2 color space that's preferable. The more color information you have the easier it is to pull a key. That said, you can achieve good keys with most pro and semi-pro cameras. The lighting of the green screen is critical. Search the Cow and you'll find volumes on this subject.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Camera for Chroma Key
on Feb 9, 2010 at 10:38:23 pm

And shoot the green elements at the same frame rates and settings as the rest of the show; you do NOT want to have to cross-convert later.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]