FORUMS: list search recent posts

White Balance

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Leyba
White Balance
on Jan 25, 2010 at 11:57:55 pm

Is it a good idea to fool your camera's white balance to make more cooler (bluish)? Or is it just better to color correct it in post afterwards? --for a short film.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: White Balance
on Jan 26, 2010 at 4:37:51 am

It can be a handy time and money saver to do certain effects "in camera", at the time you shoot, but that locks you into whatever you did in ways that are not always easily undone. Be really sure of what you want and what you are doing, before you make this choice. That said, if you are shooting day for night and you want to skew the white balance to make shots blue right off the bat, that makes a lot of sense. The question becomes more open-ended, the more post production firepower you have at your command. Your choices open up more. Magic Bullet looks for example, is what I'd use over playing with grad filters on the set. This is my personal opinion only.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: White Balance
on Jan 26, 2010 at 7:46:40 pm

I use Apple Color, but the point is the same: [Mark Suszko] "The question becomes more open-ended, the more post production firepower you have at your command. Your choices open up more"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]