HD Monitors

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Desay
HD Monitors
on Jan 20, 2010 at 2:18:33 am

Hi Guys,
just a quick question.

Im filming at the moment with a Sony HVR Z5E.I was thinking recently of investing in a monitor.I noticed that the camera doesn't have a HD-SDI input so even if i wanted to(or could afford!) a HD monitor i couldn't hook one up.This got me to thinkin that since the camera has a HDMI input,would it be possible to hook up a 1080p TV for monitoring purposes.I'm aware that it wouldn't be the same as a HD monitor connected via HD-SDI that would show uncompressed RGB signals but would the 1080p TV do the trick for framing,focusing and exposure?

Just a thought,

Cheers,

john.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: HD Monitors
on Jan 20, 2010 at 2:24:42 am

While I'm not super familiar with that particular camera, it probably does have an analog digital output which will connect to most professional HD monitors. Sometimes you need a breakout to the three cables.

JS

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 20, 2010 at 3:51:21 am

Yes, you could certainly use an HD television via HDMI for framing and focus.

And I'm not all familiar with the particulars of your camera either... but I'm with John... I'll bet a dollar that camera has some provision for component output, it would be almost unheard of if it didn't. There are probably not separate RCA or BNC outputs for RGB... but there's probably a single port that a certain breakout cable is used to pig-tail out into the separate RGB. That'd be the norm.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jan 22, 2010 at 1:58:58 pm

HDMI would work, but if you need a long cable run (client sitting a long distance from the camera, etc), you would want to run analog component as HDMI has a finite run limit (I can't think of what it is right off hand...but it isn't all that long.)

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 22, 2010 at 3:51:52 pm

[Tim Kolb] "HDMI has a finite run limit (I can't think of what it is right off hand...but it isn't all that long.)"

Never used one that long, but the longest HDMI cable I've ever seen for sale was a little over 100'... it was some oddball length, like 108' or 116' or something like that. I'm not sure if you'd get any degradation over that length or not.

The longest HDMI cable we've actually ever used here in our building is 50', to feed an upstairs monitor.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jan 25, 2010 at 3:29:04 pm

[Todd Terry] "The longest HDMI cable we've actually ever used here in our building is 50', to feed an upstairs monitor."

I assume you weren't running 10 bit. Many who are looking at HDMI are examining it as an option to DisplayPort for 10 bit connection to a DreamColor or similar device.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

John Desay
on Feb 6, 2010 at 8:05:58 pm

Thanks for the reply john.

The camera actually does have a RGB component output but here's another question-if it wasn't a case of cable length,which output would be better quality for monitoring on a 1080p TV-HDMI of Component?

Return to posts index

mike Zidel
on Feb 13, 2010 at 2:05:18 pm

If I am correct these camera's have that silly Sony Propitiate 10 pin cable I have looked @ the option with an engineer adapting a BNC conector to the body but you will still need to make the 10 pin connector a dongle. sony ays the reson not for BNC its not a broadcast camera

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]