FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lense requirement for a Rock Show

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anandabrata ghosh
Lense requirement for a Rock Show
on Jan 18, 2010 at 1:15:32 pm

Hi,

I am producing the video for a very big rock concert. The camera requirements are as below:

4 Hand held cameras. 2 on stage L and R. 2 in the audience, about 10 rows back.
2 Fixed cams on tower at sound console, front of stage
1 Technocrane L of stage 20 mts away.
2 jibs, 1 rgt of stage 40 yrds away, 1 left of stage near the sound console.
1 Robotic on hydro extension. Behind drum riser
1 gyro stabilized tethered balloon cam
1 car cam in front of sound consolse, 100 yard
1 rail cam in front of stage, 75 yard

I will be obliged if you all can suggest me the best lense to cam combination. The format to be shot is digibeta and cameras are mostly going to be sony d55.

Regards,
Anand

Return to posts index

anandabrata ghosh
Re: Lense requirement for a Rock Show
on Jan 23, 2010 at 10:43:43 am

Hi,

I could use some help here :). I made the following choices

HJ 11 EX 4.5 B IRSE
HJ 40 EX 4.5 B IRSE
HJ 75 EX 4.5 B IRSE
XJ 86 EX 4.5 B IRSE
XJ 100 EX 4.5 B IRSE
Fish eye

Please suggest alternates/additions/variations/opinions in the list of above mentioned lenses.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jan 23, 2010 at 3:30:31 pm

For the four Hand held cameras use new 14x4.3 which replaces the 11x4.7.
For the two Fixed cams on tower at sound console, front of stage use the longest of the box lenses you mentioned that are available and affordable
On the Technocrane L of stage 20 mts away use 22x7.6
For the two jibs, 1 rgt of stage 40 yrds away again use 22x, 1 left of stage near the sound console use wide 14x
1 Robotic on hydro extension. Behind drum riser again it's a 14x
1 gyro stabilized tethered balloon cam with 22x
1 car cam in front of sound console, 100 yard - not sure if it can accommodate a box lens, if so the longest available and affordable because of the dustance
1 rail cam in front of stage, 75 yard - not sure if you mean 75 yards in length, on lip of stage. If so, then 22x

JS

Return to posts index

anandabrata ghosh
on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:57:27 am

John,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

For the rail and car cam I meant 75 and 100 yards tracks and not distance from the stage. My bad.

I was wondering wouldn't it be good to use the

XJ 86 EX 4.5 B IRSE
XJ 100 EX 4.5 B IRSE

For one jib and other console cams. Let me know your reasoning.

Regards,
Anand

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jan 24, 2010 at 4:49:31 pm

Anand,

I don't believe there are 86x nor 100x ENG type lenses, I thhink you mean to say (as regards the 100x) XJ100x9.3B IE-D. This is a box lens that weights over 50 lbs plus support sled for an EFP camera and would be too heavy and awkward for a jib mount. The longest ENG type lens that Canon makes is the HJ40x14B IASD-V which weighs about 12 pounds. I would think this is the biggest lens you could physically put on a zoom, although it is much to long to be used successfully as the jib cannot be held steady enough for such a tekephoto. Jibs are used primarily with wider lenses which both minimize the camera shake and accelerate the swooping movement of the jib.

JS

Return to posts index

anandabrata ghosh
on Jan 27, 2010 at 8:53:50 pm

Thanks John for the clarification and inputs. I shall try and adhere with the best available lenses as suggested.

I have another question. One of the requirements of the client is Robotic On Hydro Extension - Behind Drum Riser, without any operator. As I never used such a system, I would like to know more about it. How is it operated? What camera can be mounted on to it? Any additional inputs about it.

Regards,
Anand

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jan 27, 2010 at 9:04:46 pm

Anand,

Never actually heard of or use a "Robotic On Hydro Extension" but have to assume it's a device that can move a small POV camera by remore control. The operator with a monitor and control panel at the end of a cable tether makes the adjustments in real time.

Appropriate cameras would be the Iconix small box camera or even larger size boxes such as the Sony HDCP1

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/cat-pov/product-HDCP1/

A multicam concert shoot like what you're describing is best organized by an OB (Outside Broadcast)truck facility who will provide a "Tech Manager" versed in all the available cameras, lenses and mounting systems available and practical. You should contact such a company in your area.

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]