FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to match apple commercials

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Smith
how to match apple commercials
on Jan 9, 2010 at 12:47:28 am

So, I have a client that wants to do a DVD distribution campaign ripping off the white room/two guys standing beside each other of Apple. So, how do I go about that? Is that green screen issue? Can't imagine that room that they are standing in is truly that white... let me know
thanks a ton
jared

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: how to match apple commercials
on Jan 9, 2010 at 12:51:37 am

Jared,

I don't know for a fact how the Apple spots were done, but I did shoot behind the scenes on some eHarmony spots that were the same look. Sure enough they were done a large white cyc, with the white exposed at 80ire.

I believe these Apple spots were done the same way, now the iPod spots were surely greenscreen.

JS

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
on Jan 9, 2010 at 1:07:21 am

well thanks for the help... i was afraid of that and trying to not go this route, but thanks again:
http://www.atomicstudios.com/white-cyc-rentals.html

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 9, 2010 at 6:40:16 am

Hey Jared...

Coincidently, we did exactly the same thing for a product video hawking digital signage transmitters for a corporate client (Avocent Corp)... they wanted pretty much a straight rip-off of the Apple spots.

So, considering the spots as "inspiration"... we did the white limbo thing. We even cast an actor that looked a heckva lot like Justin Long from the Apple spots.

We shot it mostly practically, with some clean up in post. It was shot in our studio on white seamless photographic background paper that hung from the grid and trailed out onto the floor.

Because the background roll was pretty far back (to help eliminate shadows), the paper wasn't quite wide enough to cover the frame in the wide shots. There was also some things in the frame to get rid of (mic boom, some lighting instruments)... so in the end all of the extraneous stuff was matted out, along with extending the virtual set and killing a few floor shadows.

The background was lit by Kinos, and the key light on the talent was a 1200w HMI that was bounced into a high central white 4x4 bounce card. If I recall, I think we also had a reflector or two for fill, and maybe a couple of small instruments to help fill in some problem areas (this was a few hundred shoots ago, so I don't remember the exact details).

You can see the results at the beginning and end of the video here...
http://www.connectivity.avocent.com/tv/

I think in the end we got a better result doing it practically rather than trying to greenscreen. It's not perfect by any means... but close enough considering the scope of the project and their fairly low budget.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Hunter Mossman
on Jan 24, 2010 at 9:48:12 pm

If you have the money rent some stage time a place place with a big pre-lit white cyc. As for your subjects go with what the stage can provide as far as G&E. Use a large diffused Key. Maybe a 5K kicked into a bead board or through a 4X4 silk or some 216. Kino Image 80's and Wallolights are great as well. Whatever suits your fancy. Add a little fill maybe a backlight and your good.

If it's low budget. White paper background and smaller lighting fixtures and open up on the lens a bit. Then add some more time in post to crop and blend the edges. To get 2 subjects into frame you'll still need a good size space to role the paper out enough.

Hunter Mossman
Director of Photography
huntermossman.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]