FORUMS: list search recent posts

live chroma key and image capture

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian McBain
live chroma key and image capture
on Jan 5, 2010 at 9:01:49 pm

Hello everyone,
I am looking to have a set up where people can stand in front of a green/blue screen and have their picture taken and superimposed onto their choice of backgrounds. I would like it if they could see themselves on a video feed while they get into position, and if we could show them the result afterwards.
Does anybody know how this is achieved? I've heard it is done often in Vegas and on cruise ships, with a DSLR, a laptop and a monitor.
I am trying it out right now using a video mixer, an HDV camcorder and a Mac, but it's not working out very well as the mixer is SD.
Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: live chroma key and image capture
on Jan 6, 2010 at 5:30:45 pm

The way I would do this is to use a teleprompter in front of the camea, so they are still looking right into the lens while admiring themselves in the live key as if in a common mirror.

To set up a live key is dirt simple these days with an inexpensive video switcher. To do it in software with a laptop is a little more work, though the imac isight camera has a featuer that will do an instant live difference key with any pre-recorded background movie you care to use.

You need proper lighting to pull off a good key, SD or HD notwithstanding. Can you descrbe your tech setup as it is right now?

Return to posts index

Ian McBain
on Jan 7, 2010 at 3:56:20 pm

We have a Sony HVR-Z1U running video to a Sony anycast. The video then routes to a mac just for the image capture.
I am wondering if this is our ideal setup, and also what is the best way to capture an image on the mac.
Thanks for getting back to me!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jan 7, 2010 at 4:18:38 pm

Not really a post guy, but I'd think your answer is in three letters "AJA". Either install a Kona card in a desktop Mac, use HD io with a laptop or record ProRes in a KiPro for maximum portability.

JS

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 7, 2010 at 5:54:15 pm

John, how would that show the key in real time?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jan 7, 2010 at 6:03:36 pm

I would use the Panasonic 400 switcher. It has full keyer and operates in 10 bit. You would need proper input card or AJA device to make SDI from your camera output (as I don't believe it has such an output).

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]