FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can we use stock lens of Sony Ex3 with letus extreme?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
akash negi
Can we use stock lens of Sony Ex3 with letus extreme?
on Dec 28, 2009 at 8:39:55 pm

Hi, I am quite new to cinematography and I was considereing a purchase of a 35mm adapter.
If I get an adapter, will I need to step in the world of still lenses? Do I need to purchase still lenses, or does the letus also work fine with the stock video lens of the EX3?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Can we use stock lens of Sony Ex3 with letus extreme?
on Dec 28, 2009 at 9:08:44 pm

Yes, you will need additional lenses.

Using that combo, the Letus will attach to the front of your existing EX3 stock lens. Then, your 35mm lenses attach to the Letus.

You'd need 35mm format prime (or zoom) lenses... either real cine lenses or appropriately mounted SLR lenses.

When using the Letus, even though your lens is removable on the EX3, you'll leave it in place. I believe the Pro35 from P+S Technik is the only 35mm DoF converter that can be used with the EX3 in such a way that allows you to remove the zoom lens and attach the converter directly to the camera body.

Even in that case, though, you do not use the camera's stock zoom... you need 35mm lenses, which are a very different beast compared to the stock video zoom that came with your camera.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

akash negi
on Dec 28, 2009 at 11:57:13 pm

Thanks a ton for that. Basically I was reluctant to spend extra money on 35mm lenses. But, at the same time, I wanted the image quality of a DoF adapter.

But now I know that to use an adapter, I will need to buy some extra 35mm lenses.

Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:49:02 am

Todd has got it mostly spot on, but I believe you can get a relay (from Zacuto?) that can go on your EX3 in place of the stock lens and then attach to the letus. You would still need the 35mm lenses but would get less light loss than going through the stock lens.

Andy

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 4, 2010 at 3:18:54 pm

Actually, yes, it's brand new... in fact it's so new you can't even buy it yet, it's just available for "pre-order" from Letus. I'm not sure when they are actually shipping.

Unfortunately it's pretty pricey, about $3500 just for the relay lens. I'm not sure I'd spend that much just to be able to use a Letus... no offense intended to Letus, but they are fairly low-end converters. If I were spending that kind of change I think I'd move up to a higher-end DoF converter.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]