FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time Lapse/Pixelation Question/Challenge

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned Miller
Time Lapse/Pixelation Question/Challenge
on Dec 21, 2009 at 11:09:42 pm

A client has asked me to do a new visual style of instructional video that you've probably been seeing a lot of lately. They seem to be done by professional animator/graphic artists. To see what I mean visit:

http://www.commoncraft.com/network

It may be done with DSLRs using a cable release, or bursts of frames? Does anyone know how to do this? My low tech way would be to just roll and roll and have the editor cut out the pixellator's hand when it comes in, or speed it up in post when they want a "fast" look. But that presents a LOT of extra work for the editor. To see how they did it you can check out:

http://www.commoncraft.com/blog/making

Some of this is obviously sped up in post, I'd rather not mess with undercranking at the time, there's enough to deal with. My question is: IS THERE A WAY I CAN DO A "BURST" OF FRAMES? OR SINGLE FRAMES WITHOUT TOUCHING THE CAMERA MORE THAN ONCE? Perhaps the best way is the low tech "Let it roll" way?

I own the Panasonic HPX 300.

Thanks for any advice.

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
Re: Time Lapse/Pixelation Question/Challenge
on Dec 22, 2009 at 1:09:30 am

Well there are few ways you can do this.

1- You set the time lapse function in the camera to 1 frame per minute and hit record/stop. (Risk of shifting the HPX300)

2- You can set the time lapse function high and trigger with the AJ-RC10G so you don't have to touch the camera.(Cleanest way)

3-Film the elements and use After Effects to animate them. (Time consuming scan work.)

My best suggestion would be not to use a Video Camera but use a Still camera (most modern models will have a intervalometer). Because you can shoot JPEG, save the image files in sequential order(which the camera does automatically) and then import them into After Effect as an image sequence. That way there is almost no editing that needs to be done and you can render out a MOV immediately.

Hope this helps.

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 22, 2009 at 8:02:09 pm

Ask this again in the Motion Graphics section, for additional views.

Frankly, I was underwhelmed by the "S'Plainers" examples, unless I'm looking at something other than what you wanted me to. You could build this type of graphic look in AfterEffects, Motion, or maybe faster by using Zaxwerks, importing 3-d models from a place like Turbosquid, and 2-d vector art from a vendor like Digital Juice... I'm not seeing anything in here that requires the use of any camera, so maybe a more direct link would help me understand what you're talking about?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 9, 2010 at 9:23:14 pm

This looks like Flash animation to me. You might try a post in the Flash forum.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]