FORUMS: list search recent posts

RIP, Dan O'Bannon

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcow
Mark Suszko
RIP, Dan O'Bannon
on Dec 21, 2009 at 3:21:53 pm

This clip from an early movie of his has always been a favorite of mine, because the whole movie 'Dark Star' was shot on a budget of about... um... pocket lint. But anyway, it's a favorite scene because without any money, it uses classic cameraman tricks of Dutch tilts and forced camera perspective, plus some hammy but heartfelt acting by a guy laying on a floor and a forklift tine, to make you think this is a real elevator shaft...

http://io9.com/5429739/rip-alien-screenwriter-dan-obannon?autoplay=true

...and not just a forklift with $3 worth of broken kid toys glued to it, driving down a hallway. I think it works well, much better than it should, considering what they spent. That's always impressed me.

Yes, that's Dan in the clip as Sgt. Pinback; after this semi-student indy film, he went on to write a little movie about an Alien that gets aboard a space ship, you may have heard of it ;-)

Return to posts index

mark brisenden
Re: RIP, Dan O'Bannon
on Jan 14, 2010 at 2:28:30 pm

Indeed . And a film that rewards with every screening. Saw it when very young on TV and like early Carpenter are much better 'how to' examples of low budget 'indie' filmmaking than many of those being touted today.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]