FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cp-16R Primes

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Angell
Cp-16R Primes
on Dec 6, 2009 at 5:27:09 pm

Does anyone know if there are CP mount primes in existence? I can only find zoom lenses when I google it. I know that there is an option to convert the camera to PL mount but I was wondering if there was a possibility of shooting primes on the CP-16R without getting a PL mount conversion.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: Cp-16R Primes
on Dec 6, 2009 at 7:20:53 pm

From 1972 to 1985 I owned a CP-R, and loved it. As far as I know, the only way to mount primes on this camera is with an adapter. I had an adapter for Nikon lenses that hooked into the CP mount. But for PL lenses I am almost certain you need to convert the camera's CP-mount to a PL-mount. There are probably still shops that can do that conversion. Google for them.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
and part-time instructor lighting and camera
grad school, SF Academy of Art University/Film and Video
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 6, 2009 at 8:51:13 pm

Yep, being a newsgathering camera the CP16 and CP16R was virtually always seen with a zoom.

I don't believe there were ever any primes in a native CP mount. I will agree with Rick, I don't think you can use any kind of adapter to use PL mount lenses (just due to the size of the PL mount in relation to a CP mount).

I would think that if you want to use primes on your CP, your choices will be to find an adapter like the one that Rick had and use Nikkors, or get the body PL mounted. The latter option sounds quite expensive.... and many more times so if you don't already have a set of PL primes.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Todd Ciaciuch
on Mar 12, 2010 at 3:20:05 am

Hey guys, there are prime lenses for the CP-16R Camera. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. In the 70's, CP's became very popular with filmmakers, so Cinema Products put together a "studio" rig with a lot of add-ons, including a prime lens set. I've shot extensively on the CP-16R and the CP lenses, and results are always outstanding at 2k.

"Cinema Products Ultra-T Prime lenses" (9mm T1.35, 12.5mm T.25, 16mm T1.25, 25mm T1.25). -- CP licensed glass from Kowa in Japan, and created a housing similar to the Zeiss MK1's. These Ultra-T lenses are fast and sharp. There's a slight color difference between the Zeiss, but that disappears in the scanning/telecine. There's a youtube video online that compares MK1's Zeiss vs. the Ultra-T's Kowa glass.

Who has the lenses?

-Well, I do. I have the full set in VG condition, as well as an Angie 5.9mm and an Angie Compact Zoom. All these lenses cut together very well. Unfortunately, I love the glass so much I won't part with them. Other private owners will probably tell you the same thing, but it never hurts to ask.

-You can try ebay... There's always a 12.5mm or 25mm on there. The 9mm & 16mm are a bit more rare. They are very popular in Australia, so you can try Ebay-AU.

-Visual Products in Ohio or Whitehouse Audio Visual in Thousand Oaks are the epicenters for CP items. They'll know where the lenses are. They can also fix em, too.

-Alan Gordon in L.A. had a set, but I think they sold quickly. Worth checking.

-Lastly, you can try David at Edgewood Studios in VT. He's got 16/35 CP's in his studio, and I believe he has a set of the Ultra-T primes with a S-16mm body/tap. His CP-16R cameras and lenses were used to shoot Anna Nicole Smith's last film "Illegal Aliens" before she died.

There's a lot of great gear out there for a lot of money. For me, the ultra-T's still pack a punch for a fraction of the price.

Todd Ciaciuch
Director/DP

Return to posts index

Mike Weber
on May 24, 2011 at 2:53:55 pm

I have a 9mm Cinema Products Ultra-T in superb condition with pristine glass as well as the Angenieux 5.9mm an Arri Cinegon 10mm and Angenieux 10 - 150 and 12 - 120 zooms that all are CP mounts. I also have two CP 16 bodies and accessories. It's all for sale. Contact me at (727) 578 1926 - Mike Weber

Return to posts index

Pankaj Butalia
on Nov 10, 2011 at 1:51:14 pm

I responded to this to say that I have a CP prime ... a Zeiss 12 mm T3 ... which I bought second hand way back in 1991 but stopped using in 1999 because film became too difficult to handle.

So, if anyone wants this, they can contact me.

Cheers.

Pankaj

Return to posts index

Todd Ciaciuch
on Nov 11, 2011 at 4:10:44 am

You actually don't have a CP prime. There isn't a 12mm CP prime. CP offered the 12.5mm. It sounds like you have a Zeiss prime lens adapted to fit onto a CP-16R, which in all cases is still a good glass in front. CP16R prime lenses usually refer to the "Cinema Products Ultra- T" 16mm lens using glass licensed from Kowa (thus the inscription "Lenses made in Japan").

I am interested in CP-adapted lenses, but only looking for focal lengths 50mm or longer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]