FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVX100 or HD (P2 or EX3)

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
DVX100 or HD (P2 or EX3)
on Dec 2, 2009 at 9:03:06 am

I am shooting a film, which is mainly dialog based indoors. Due to the concept we have to be able to build the set up and down in hell of a speed (15-20min) and change location 4-5 times a day. The final result will be screened in Art House Cinemas. The lighting gear will be simple (some redheads, maybe a Kamio Kino Flo for the Lens). I personally own a DVX100 - is that good enough or will a EX3 make such a difference - even though it is mostly indoors - dialoges in between people? An EX3 is so much more expansive in rent/buying - will it be worth the difference?

Thanx.

Greetz,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: DVX100 or HD (P2 or EX3)
on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:41:34 pm

DVX100 will be fine. But if it's dialogue heavy, consider posting in the http://forums.creativecow.net/audioprofessionals because mic and mic placement are more important than camera, for this particular movie.

Here's what happens, for example: Let's say you cover a scene in four shots: WS, MS, CU, POV.

When the microphone changes locations even in the same room, the room tone will also change, even when you change the position of the lights the reverb in the room is altered! So, when the movie is cut, the "white noise" will shift in pitch and it's very disturbing and very noticeable shot to shot. In order to fix that, you will have to re-record all of the audio in accordance with the picture lock, with a few ADR sessions.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Dec 2, 2009 at 6:36:04 pm

[Sascha Engel] "An EX3 is so much more expansive in rent/buying - will it be worth the difference?"

That's a call only you can make. The DVX 100b was, I think, the top of the line of prosumer SD video. You write you have the DVX100 so I am guessing you do not have a model A or B, which had significant upgrades. Still, an excellent SD camera.

An HDV camera such as the EX1 or 3 or one of the Panasonic P2 cameras will produce significantly better images -- more visual information, smoother gradations from pure white to pure black, more exposure range, etc. It's your money.

If this is your first time out with such a project, maybe the place to put the money is with sound: hire a good sound person who knows well how to use and place a good mic on a boom and who can also finesse radio mics. As Richard noted, good audio is essential to a dialogue-intensive project.

And then you can concentrate on the actors' performances. How good your script is, and how well the actors perform, and how cleanly we understand their words trump any visual fine tuning. And I say that as a lifelong director of photography.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
and part-time instructor lighting and camera
grad school, SF Academy of Art University/Film and Video
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Dec 3, 2009 at 12:29:37 am

Thanx for all the advice!!! By the way - it is a DVX100B - but nevertheless - the EX1 or 3 is a lot better - it depends now, on how much money the final budget will be ;-)

Sascha

Return to posts index

Hunter Mossman
on Jan 25, 2010 at 8:02:48 pm

Moving that fast there's something to be said for your familiarity with the gear. Going with your DVX means you already have the menu knowledge and experience with the camera that can allow you to move quickly. Another thing to consider is the with the EX1/3 or HVX etc. you will be recording to cards and not too tape requiring either more money in card rentals or a download station on set with a laptop and drives etc. That will add even more time to an already tight schedule. I'd have to agree with the post's above and go with the good old DVX on this one and throw the rest of the money into Audio and maybe a Swing Grip/Elec. to help with lights.

Hunter Mossman
Director of Photography
http://www.huntermossman.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]