on Dec 1, 2009 at 8:23:59 pm

Has anyone used this?
Looks like a cool product.

http://www.pstechnik.de/en/digitalfilm-16sr-magazine.php

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Digital Magazines
on Dec 1, 2009 at 8:41:25 pm

QUITE interesting... I haven't seen that, although I have yet to be unimpressed by any P+S Technik product. They make great stuff.

That's exactly the same idea that some of us were kicking around in another forum a few years ago (cinematographers and other fans/users of Russian film equipment). Out thoughts there were that the Russian Konvas 35mm 7M and 8M cameras, just like the 16mm Arri SR, have a magazine that contain the pressure plates, loop formers, and all the threading mechanisms... not in the camera. We mused that it would be cool to have a "digital magazine" with a 35mm-size sensor that you could just slap into place, retaining real cine lenses and optical viewfinder, etc. That looks to be exactly what this is.

I'd suspect the downsides would be that firstly, since it is a 16mm camera (about one-fifth the frame real estate of a 35mm frame) that the much-sought-after 35mm DoF isn't going to be there, it will be much deeper (just ike 16mm film, of course). And it looks, if I'm reading it right, it's only a 30fps module? What's up with that? The film guys who already own the SR body are going to want 24fps.

And... like everything else from P+S Technik, I'm betting it's wildly expensive. I'm a big fan (and user) of their stuff and they make great products... but they generally want an arm and a leg for it.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Dec 1, 2009 at 9:09:53 pm

Arri 16 SR3 on ebay for $3,500 (no lenses). Even if this gadget costs $20,000, it ain't so bad.

I figured 35mm digital mag is next.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:23:21 pm

[Richard Herd] "Even if this gadget costs $20,000, it ain't so bad."

Even if...

I could find only minimal pricing details, but the one source I did see expected (when available) that the unit would sell in the 30,000 Euro neighborhood.... so about $40,000-$45,000 depending on the mood of the dollar that day. For something more accurate I'll ask Barb at ZGC (the US importer of P+S Technik) the next time I get a chance.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Dec 2, 2009 at 12:47:53 am

Yeah, expensive stuff. I haven't seen any work flow paths either, might ask Barb that too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]