FORUMS: list search recent posts

looking for a camera with good sound

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian Mara Medville
looking for a camera with good sound
on Nov 30, 2009 at 9:26:58 pm

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent camera that I can get for less than 1000$ that has good sound and/or a place to attach a clip on microphone?

thanks for any and all leads!

Lillian

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
Re: looking for a camera with good sound
on Dec 1, 2009 at 5:25:34 pm

Well, your question is a bit broad, but here's some suggestions.

The first thing to remember is that all built-in camcorder mics are generally very poor, so you will want to use an external mic (lapel mic or boom mic most of the time). Even a very good camera mounted mic will usually be too far away to be useful for dialogue and will pick up noise from the camera (fans/tape transport/zoom motors, etc.)

Most cameras have an external mic input and any DV/HDV or better camera will have adequate audio recording quality. Lower end cameras will often have a 1/8" jack which must be used with an adapter to work with professional microphones with XLR connections. More expensive cameras will usually have XLR connectors, which is a good thing. For around $1000, you may be able to find a nice older miniDV camera with XLR inputs like a Panasonic DVX100, as long as you don't mind buying used.

Having said all this, you should think of some more determining factors beyond the audio quality of a camera. Do you need HD? What are you going to use it for? Do you want it to record to tape or solid-state?

Don't forget to add good mics to your budget, and check out the Cow's audio forum.

Return to posts index

Brian Moore
Re: looking for a camera with good sound
on Dec 13, 2009 at 6:35:04 am

I would recommend you get an external digital audio recorder. audio that goes into a video camera is extremely compressed. You should never use the audio from a camcorder. the difference between the two is truly night and day.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]