FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Screen

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
christopher sferrazza
Black Screen
on Oct 6, 2009 at 2:51:44 am

Hi I'm shooting a green beer bottle and have decided to shoot against black as per requested from the post house,

200T, 35 mm, ultra prime lenses, filters are a set of nd's, pola, locked off. The bottle will be used as a cut out to be supered over an existing shot. it will be spritzed for a droplet run (33 fps). I never shot against a black screen before and wasn't sure if the same rules apply.

Any tips or advice -

Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Black Screen
on Oct 6, 2009 at 3:06:46 pm

Are you trying to make the bottle luminance-keyable on the black BG?
You may want to shoot it both with flat lighting and with a pass that accentuates the specular highlights. A panel of foam core, hit with a bounce, and set off close to one side, will reflect onto the glass and reveal the bottle's contours.

If you have time for another alternate take, may I suggest leaving the shot locked-down, and adding a white paper cut-out shape to the back side of the bottle, just wide enough so the ends of the paper are hidden by the side curves of the bottle. You might or might not end up needing this shot, but you may as well shoot it while everything is set up. The white paper BG on the back side of the bottle sometimes helps it to "read" better in a shot.

I have a lava lamp by my desk which never looked good in action until I applied this technique to it. It is used a lot on shots of things like wine bottles, which is where I first saw it demonstrated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]