FORUMS: list search recent posts

RoadRags questions

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
RoadRags questions
on Oct 1, 2009 at 1:28:49 am

I'm about to order a set of Matthews RoadRags and have two questions:

1. How best to attach these to a light stand? I like the idea of saving a stand by attaching these via a Cardellini type clamp to the stand whose light you're trying to modify. Although Matthews seems to recommend their MiniGrips for this purpose, I've seen some negative comments about the construction materials (really strong but plastic) of the MiniGrips, and wonder whether someone can recommend another device.

2. Which size do you recommend? 18x24 or 24x36. I'm looking to use the RoadRags for two main reasons: to decrease the light on light shirts, and to flag off the background when I use a KinoFlo with a Flozier. I'd prefer to travel as light as possible (18x24) unless it's just not going to do the job.

Thank you.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: RoadRags questions
on Oct 1, 2009 at 6:54:00 am

The day they came out, we bought an 18x24 and a 24x36 kit. Also bought two minigrip kits. They all work fine and the plastic stuff is great. However, if you let others use the gripheads, they will destroy them.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 1, 2009 at 11:30:10 am

[Steve Wargo] "However, if you let others use the gripheads, they will destroy them."

Isn't that the truth.

Which of the two sizes do you prefer? I need to travel as light as I can, so can only take one. The main light I'm modifying is a Kino Flo Diva light.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Oct 1, 2009 at 2:15:51 pm

18x24 should work. If I had to choose, it would be the 24x36 but they are much higher priced. The Diva light is 26" wide so the smaller unit would have to be closer to the light. The small kit weighs 3 pounds, the larger is 4.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 9, 2009 at 3:31:23 pm

We've had excellent results with the 18x24.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]