FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upconversion HD to 35mm

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ramin Doostan
Upconversion HD to 35mm
on Sep 29, 2009 at 4:33:23 am

I was wondering if it's possible to upconvert a digitally filmed HD format to 35mm. I am sending my film to some film festivals which requires my film to be in 35mm format.

I have questions about costs and where/how to do it. I live in Toronto. I'd appreciate any input from you guys, thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Upconversion HD to 35mm
on Sep 29, 2009 at 2:29:50 pm

Sure, it can be done, and is done pretty often.

Word of warning, though, it's pretty darn expensive. I think that typically striking a real film print from a digital master can be upwards of $30,000-$50,000 for a feature length film.

Keep in mind that virtually all festivals now will accept digital masters... some will only accept digital masters (even Sundance had an all-digital-required year a couple of years ago until some entrants balked and insisted on 35mm prints, so they relented the following year). So, are you absolutely sure that a 35mm print is required? Maybe not... but if so, I guess you are stuck.

I don't have any sources off hand, but there are labs in LA that do that (and one well-known one in Vancouver whose name escapes me).

Most of those labs really like to be in on the pre-production when you know a film print is needed so that you can do everything exactly right to make the right master that will yield the best print. But of course they can do it after-the-fact as well.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Ramin Doostan
Re: Upconversion HD to 35mm
on Sep 29, 2009 at 11:56:11 pm

the 35mm requirement was true for Cannes until last year when I checked last. I'm going to look into that and make sure.

That was great respond. Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]