FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compare F900 to RED

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Montgomery
Compare F900 to RED
on Sep 4, 2009 at 4:02:15 am

Heyhey

Getting geared up to shoot a feature length horror film in the spring. We're looking to purchase a new camera to handle it. Most of my experience is with XDCAM and P2. I've been looking at the F900 series cameras (specifically the HDW), but have also been wondering how it stacks up compared to the RED.

Personally I don't know RED cameras very well, and haven't had a chance to observe one up close. It doesn't sound very necessary to get it. Not sure if it's the way to go, but if it's just a hop up from an F900, I'd wonder why not just go RED.

Thoughts?

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Compare F900 to RED
on Sep 4, 2009 at 8:08:46 pm

Sorry not to offer any real advice. I have a question though. Why are you purchasing a camera?

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Sep 7, 2009 at 6:29:33 am

For starters, the F-900 does not need to be wrapped in ice packs in order to keep it operating.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

José Luis Martínez Díaz
on Sep 19, 2009 at 2:33:02 pm

Neither the RED.

I don't know if you speak of personal experience or just rumors, but I've had 40+ gigs this year with the RED ONE and had never a heat related problems with the RED, and I cannot say the same with the cinealta 750, since I witnessed 2 of them get fried in a Spanish major tv series on a hot location.

These 'gel packs' stories appeared after Che, but these were prototypes cameras.

The RED has the higher resolution, latitude, color, versatility of raw and 35mm depth of field, but both the shooting and postproduction needs a film-stle crew and mindset.

The Cinealta has much lower resolution and color space, 2/3inch dof, but a more 'ENG' style operation and straightforward post.

And is quite noisier, by the way. ;-)

Cheers,

Jose

Return to posts index

Nicholas Montgomery
on Nov 12, 2009 at 7:49:09 am

Thank you for your replies (mine was a delayed response there, I know). To answer your question Richard, it's not really my decision but the studio I am a part of needs a better camera before we move to a feature and we have the investors to make it happen. I assume you meant why are we buying as opposed to renting?

Plus, I want a new toy to play with.

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]