FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digital Cine Lenses

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Froman
Digital Cine Lenses
on Aug 17, 2009 at 6:18:32 pm

Has anyone out there used the Canon HDEC 2/3" prime lenses? I will be shooting a feature in a hot, dusty climate on a Panasonic HPX 3000 and would rather avoid using the ProAdaptor 35. Or if not Canons, any other ideas? What rental houses are offering them? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
Re: Digital Cine Lenses
on Aug 17, 2009 at 9:01:03 pm

I used the Canon HDEC 2/3" prime lenses and was pleased with it overall. I chose these lenses because we were shooting with a steadicam and the fact that all focal lengths are all identical in shape and weight made it very fast to change, without rebalancing or calibration of accessories. The performance of the lenses was uniform throughout the (lens)set.

Chromatic aberration was minimal and I didn't notice any ghosting. I think I had a set of 5mm,9mm,14mm,24mm,35mm,55mm. I dont remember the conversions from 2/3" to 35mm...maybe somebody can post a link.

They are very fast lenses BUT you will not get a 35mm DOF from them.

Hope this helps,

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

steve phillipps
on Aug 21, 2009 at 12:25:07 pm

Surely the two options are not comparable? Isn't the Pro35 an adapter that allows you to keep the 35mm depth of field? You won't get this with any 2/3" lens.
Steve

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 21, 2009 at 2:19:30 pm

[steve phillipps] "Surely the two options are not comparable?"

Correct... sort of apples and oranges.

[steve phillipps] "Isn't the Pro35 an adapter that allows you to keep the 35mm depth of field?"

Correct.

[steve phillipps] "You won't get this with any 2/3" lens."

Again correct. Any direct-mounted lens on a 2/3" chip camera will give you DoF roughly the same as 16mm film, since a 16mm frame is roughly the same size as the camera's sensors... or about a fifth the size of a 35mm frame. Reducing DoF to the equivalent of 35mm requires an adapter such as the Pro35.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]