FORUMS: list search recent posts

Music Video Lighting Effect

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kirk Johnson
Music Video Lighting Effect
on Aug 9, 2009 at 5:18:50 pm

I'm shooting a music video in a couple of weeks and wanted to see if anyone knew how to achieve this lighting effect that many rappers use. It can be seen at the :54 and 1:32 mark.

Is it done strictly in post or are there steps I should take while shooting as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

-Kirk

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Music Video Lighting Effect
on Aug 10, 2009 at 10:23:26 pm

at :54 I see a washed out image.
at 1:32 I don't see a lighting effect, just a normally exposed picture.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Aug 10, 2009 at 10:27:14 pm

Yeah, lighting effects for day exterior concerts are very subtle at best and require more horse power than most folks are willing to pay for. Whatever lights are rigged are usually just for "show" until the daylight ambiance goes down and (after dark) the main act appears.

I did notice plenty of smoke/fog which when backlit by the sun does create a "lighting" effect.

JS

Return to posts index

Kirk Johnson
on Aug 10, 2009 at 11:51:42 pm

Sorry. I should have been more specific. I'm referring to the white bursts of light that appear and disappear at those times. They look almost like an exposure rack but I'm not sure.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 11, 2009 at 1:17:37 am

I'm with the other guys... even with a re-viewing and the additional explanation I really don't see what you are talking about.

At :54 there looks just to be some exposure washout due to the light filtering through the smoke/haze reulting in a bright image with low contrast.

At 1:32 I could see no effect whatsoever.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Kirk Johnson
on Aug 11, 2009 at 1:43:01 am

Wow. Really not sure what happened there. That link is wrong. The video in question is the "I'm on a boat" music video by The Lonely Island. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Return to posts index

Kirk Johnson
on Aug 11, 2009 at 1:43:01 am

Wow. Really not sure what happened there. That link is wrong. The video in question is the "I'm on a boat" music video by The Lonely Island. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 13, 2009 at 4:01:30 pm

That effect is probably added in post. It looks like a volumetric light effect. There are many plugins for FCP that can create that type of effect. FCP has a few Video Filters in the Glow menu. Also, Google CoreMelt, Trapcode Shine & CHV Flow effects.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]