FORUMS: list search recent posts

lens dammage tricks

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
grinner hester
lens dammage tricks
on Aug 8, 2009 at 12:19:36 am

We've all done a number ona lens or two in our day. I have found creative mends and work arounds to many flavors of woes from pits to scratches. Recently I shot the stock lens of my FX-1 with a hefty bottle rocket and it burned in a small heat rainbow in the lgass itself. Have any of you found a way to remove these? I totally thought I had a polorizer over it and was just gonna toss it but it was not on while shooting this action scene. I have buffed as much as it's gonna buff and can still detect in in bright shots.
Any tips or tricks are appriciated.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: lens dammage tricks
on Aug 8, 2009 at 3:01:26 am

Hey Grinner....

Sad to say, but if you think you've buffed the lens as much as is safely possible... you might need professional help.

Maybe it's just a coating issue, hopefully the front element itself isn't damaged.

I'd highly recommend lens ubergenius Paul Duclos of Duclos Lenses in L.A. He's really great, higly respected, know tons of people who use him, and is really affordable.

Paul saved my bacon one time when my very favorite prime (50mm Leitz-Panavision f1.3 superspeed) accidently took a nosedive onto a concrete location floor thanks to an inept crew member (yes, it was me). I was sure the lens was a goner, but Paul fixed it for about $500 if I recall. The lens was still usable (barely), so he even timed it so I could FedEx the lens for arrival to him on the day he had time to fix it and FedEx it right back so it wasn't out of service for more than a couple days. Saved me quite a few thousands of bucks had the lens been lost.

http://ducloslenses.com

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
Re: lens dammage tricks
on Aug 10, 2009 at 4:26:43 pm

You might want to try a solvent like acetone/fingernail polish remover if you haven't already. I had some stuff on my DVX's lens once that gave it some rainbow hazing like you described... nothing would take it off except the acetone, and I had polished on it forever with glass cleaner. Didn't seem to hurt the coating, but it got whatever it was off of there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]