FORUMS: list search recent posts

panning video with a Nikon D90

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
panning video with a Nikon D90
on Jul 17, 2009 at 1:24:06 am

I'm looking into using/ buying a Nikon D90 for use in my video projects. But I was told that panning will cause the image to skew (although I haven't checked it out myself because no one in my neighborhood has one). Is the Nikon D300 better in that respect? I think being able to achieve shallow depth of field with the D90 (or D300, whichever does not skew) camera and capturing uncompressed will make me want to buy that instead of an HVX200.

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Jeroen Wisse
Re: panning video with a Nikon D90
on Jul 17, 2009 at 9:11:39 am

Hi Clyde,

Look at my footage to see which problem I had with the D90:

Youtube: search for "Iceman Wim Hof Finland"

Even with a steady shot, it looks as if there's a wave running through the image. Another problem with the D90 is, that it doesn't have a full frame sensor so you don't have the maximum depth of field. Maybe try the Canon D5 mk 2.... The footage I have seen, looks brilliant. See "Reverie" on youtube.

Jeroen

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Jul 18, 2009 at 2:50:52 am

I watched your footage and the image is warping from top to bottom. I just visited Canon showroom yesterday and tried both the 500D and the 5d Mark II. The 500D's video exhibited skewing. The 5D Mark II did not, even when I'm panning really fast. But I'm really not sure because I'm just looking at the camera's LCD. There were some distortion going on though, but it could be from the lens... really not sure.

Anyway, the 5D is really expensive, about thrice the price of the Nikon D90. Do you know of a camera that is just one notch up the D90, pricewise, that does not skew images when panning? Thanks Jeroen!

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Martti Ekstrand
on Jul 19, 2009 at 2:01:13 pm

I got a Panasonic GH1 and from what I've seen it has the least problems of all vDSLR models with rolling shutter skewing and jello. You can check my two first little films with it here:
http://vimeo.com/marttiekstrand/

and lots more here:
http://vimeo.com/groups/gh1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]