FORUMS: list search recent posts

Batteries 4 Broadcast

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence McDonough
Batteries 4 Broadcast
on Jul 14, 2009 at 5:05:17 am

Hi everybody. I hope this forum comes close to my question. I am researching buying new 90Wh Lithium-ion batteries (I use the Anton-Bauer 3 post Gold Mount style) and I came across "Batteries 4 Broadcast" in Florida. At first look they seem to be a very good option for quality and price. Any one out there use these batteries? Opinions?

Thanks,

Larry

Return to posts index

Scott Rachal
Re: Batteries 4 Broadcast
on Jul 14, 2009 at 6:56:00 pm

We found these guys a while back, and have been using their lithium ion batteries for a couple of years. They perform well, and the B4B guy really knows his stuff, battery/chemistry wise.
We've used the batteries on large Panasonic cameras, and get great operation time.

-Scott

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 14, 2009 at 7:50:38 pm

Hmmmm... those look pretty cool. I wouldn't mind trading in my heavy goldmount bricks. I just wish they would charge on the Anton Bauer charger.

Now that I think about it, I now do now recall being on a promo shoot for a television station and one of their news guys was talking them up. He handed me one and it would not fit on my regular goldmount because the battery was ever-so-slightly longer than the AB battery, and part of the battery bracket was in the way. It could work with modification, but not quite plug-n-play.

It does appear that they also have a standard "power tap" on the battery itself... that might prove handy when powering multiple accessories (such as a monitor and, say, a teleprompter) with the same battery that's running the camera. There's been a time or two when I needed to do that, but the power tap on the goldmount was already occupied. I've thought in the past that I needed to get one of those little power tap "splitters" to hang on to "just in case," but this would solve that problem.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 15, 2009 at 4:15:01 pm

One of the local news stations here uses hydrogen fuel cells to power their ENG cameras. They emit a faint hiss while operating, louder as they get hot and a little cooling fan inside kicks in. Sounds like a little hair dryer, annoying for audio sometimes. The shooter told me he can only fill the plug-in tanks from a special, expensive tap back at the station, so much for sharing batteries with the guy next to you... and that they don't work as well in deep cold outside conditions because the cold makes the internal pressure go down.

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on Jul 15, 2009 at 7:33:27 pm

I haven't used B4B but have worked with Rathbone Eneregy, http://www.rathboneenergy.com/ . Ron Rathbone has a wealth of battery tech knowledge and is quick to share his strong opinions. His website is worth the visit. They re-celled some of our bricks and BP90s a few years ago and the batteries worked better than new and we could still use our A-B charger. Since getting our HDX900 though we switched to the A-B Dionics and they seem to last forever. Now, regarding Mark Suszko's story about the hydrogen cells...seriously?! Man, I'll never complain about the old BP90s again.

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 15, 2009 at 8:00:00 pm

[Mark D'Agostino] "regarding Mark Suszko's story about the hydrogen cells...seriously?!"

I was completely convinced Mark was pulling our legs about the hydrogen camera batteries... until I researched it, and sho'nuff they exist.

I'm all for advances and improvements... but I don't quite get it. They claim to be cheaper to operate in the long run... but, I mean, seriously? I bet batteries (and the power to juice them) cost my company maybe .0001% of our annual budget (which isn't that huge to start with). I can't conceive of any long-term cost savings being outweighed by the upfront cost of the filling system and the inconvenience of only being able to recharge them back at the home base.

Not to mention the "hissing sound"... geez. Maybe I'm completely missing the point, but it sure seems like the wrong application for that product to me... espcially when you consider that both NiCads and Lithium ion batteries do work pretty darn well and are a miniscule percentage of the cost of all the other hardware that our businesses require.

I'll forgo that in favor of my next idea... putting small wind turbines on top of cameras. (only good for exteriors, of course)

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jonathan Alexander
on Feb 17, 2011 at 6:06:43 pm

I have 2 of the 90W lithiums for my JVC HD110U
they are about 2 years old and they work beautifully I also got the change over kit for the HD-110U and it also just works! Way less money great product and the customer support has been very good as well.

Return to posts index

John Samuelson
on Jul 10, 2016 at 11:40:37 pm

Kind of an old post, but i just found this website that mentions some broadcast batteries stuff: http://www.comparebroadcastbatteries.com/, maybe this might help for ppl looking for batteries.

Return to posts index

Will Davis
on Oct 15, 2016 at 2:10:08 am

Hey John, I checked out that website and decided to try out the BCB batteries that Nils reviewed. Gotta say they are pretty good.

I wonder if there is any relationship between the Batteries 4 Broadcast (B4B) and these Broadcast Camera Batteries (BCB), but probably not...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]