FORUMS: list search recent posts

3 Camera Shoot

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frederick Iannone
3 Camera Shoot
on May 25, 2009 at 2:44:16 am

Hey All,
I want to shoot a theatrical performance in real time with three cameras (master and 2 wing cameras) and will take the sound off the house board. I will cut this on FCP6 and use the 3 camera feature in the software. Not having done this before, are there any things I need to be aware of....any tips, etc? I'm strictly a 1 camera film guy. I will shoot this project with 3 JVC 24p cameras (one 100u and the others probably the 250u's) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all,
Fred

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: 3 Camera Shoot
on May 25, 2009 at 7:06:14 pm

There have been other threads on this very same situation. In brief, you want to shoot so that it is easy in post to sync up all 3 cameras. If you can jam sync the 3 cameras to the same time code, problem solved. Another way is to have the 3 cameras pan to a common slate with a clapstick, and then never turn off. If the show is longer than what you can record on one tape or one card, your editor will have some trouble syncing up the next reels. However, provided all 3 cameras run continuously, even when one or more cannot get a good shot, it is pretty easy to sync to voice. Do make sure each camera is recording sound, even if only one gets a good feed from the house system. Otherwise you will have extreme trouble syncing later.

Rick Wise
director of photography
and custom lighting design
Oakland, CA
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.recessionvideo.net
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 25, 2009 at 8:50:19 pm

IMHO, if you really want these cameras to sync throughout your program you should run reference and timecode to each. The AJA Gen10 http://www.aja.com/products/converters/converters-hd-gen10.php has multiple outputs (so no DA is needed) and will generate SD or HD sync. If the cameras don't accept sync, use Rick's approach. Since you have three options when you cut, you can always adjust for drift, but once you start slipping or sliding tracks, you'll lose the speed of synced multitrack editing.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Adrian Sancho
on May 28, 2009 at 5:08:50 am

Yeah if you can't sync the cameras keep 'em running. Even if you have to change tape it's no big deal to sync as long as they're running. Definitely get a house mix on at least one camera. I once had to sync stop and go footage off 3 cameras once and it took over 16 hours just to sync! Keep 'em runnin'...

Return to posts index

Frederick Iannone
on May 28, 2009 at 6:18:13 pm

you mean keep at least one camera running....in other words stagger the reload times, right? also, if i get a feed from the house board to the master camera, it'll have time code on it right? i'm using the jvc 100u's. Another poster asked me that.
thanks, fred

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 28, 2009 at 7:01:32 pm

I think he means let the timecode contionue to free-run. Then you can change tape and when you go into record your timecode is the same as the other cameras.

It would be a good idea to send the master sound to all cameras. That way the sound itself can help you sync if the t/c is off. You can easily hear when two (or three) sound tracks are in sync, and when they start to slip and have phasing start.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
24" TV-Logic Monitor

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Adrian Sancho
on Jun 1, 2009 at 7:29:43 am

>>you mean keep at least one camera running....in other words stagger the reload times, right?<<

Sorry for the late response, but you have it right. Stagger. If so, you'll need at least two house audio feeds running to two cameras you can stagger the audio to as well, otherwise you'll have to be a bit creative with your audio mix. Been there, done that too.:-) It's actually not hideous if you can sync and blend for a good amount of time.

If you need to sync disparate audio, and you an run VST plug-ins on your audio (video) editor, check out the Phase Bug: http://www.betabugsaudio.com/plugs.php

Scroll down to the bottom and get the Phase Bug (and anything else you think you might like/need). This freebie can be a life-saver when syncing audio from multiple cameras (or other multiple audio sources).

Return to posts index

Mickey Houlihan
on May 29, 2009 at 2:11:19 pm

The other benefit to recording a house mix to all cameras is that you don't lose it during the tape change to your master camera.

Return to posts index

Frederick Iannone
on May 29, 2009 at 5:13:10 pm

that makes sense.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on May 28, 2009 at 5:18:44 am

Does the 100 have a Time Code connector?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 28, 2009 at 2:54:20 pm

If all else fails, there's always PluralEyes software that sync clips (in Final Cut) without timecode. http://www.singularsoftware.com/autosync/

John

24" TV-Logic Monitor

Return to posts index

Frederick Iannone
on May 28, 2009 at 6:15:31 pm

it has a 3 pin xlr out.....won't that have tc in there?

Return to posts index

Dan Quintero
on May 29, 2009 at 9:32:40 pm

Not sure if those cameras have this feature, but setting the camera's TIMECODE to FREE RUN and syncing them once at the beginning, even if it's all the cameras pointed at someone clapping, will make changing tapes and editing simpler. And make sure all your camera's are recording sound.

Production Associate
Bend, Oregon, United States

Return to posts index

Frederick Iannone
on May 29, 2009 at 10:28:47 pm

thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]