FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon series XH series or XL series???

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
luis asencio
Canon series XH series or XL series???
on May 18, 2009 at 3:20:51 pm

Im changing to HD now and i need others with experiences in this brand CANON HD. i have used all my life canon xl1.gl1,gl2. im looking for a very sharp image capture and need to know before changing to HD. i have seen lots of camcorders but i am very confused with sony, canon etc... if any one can help and let me see the difference between these options it would be great. remember I NEED THE BEST QUALITY IMAGE POSSIBLE WITH HD.

Thanks

Innova Video

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
Re: Canon series XH series or XL series???
on May 18, 2009 at 7:01:04 pm

I believe the XL and XH cameras are fairly similar in most respects; I know that the XL-H1 has an interchangeable lens while the XH-A1 does not, and the various Canon HD cameras have different sets of video outputs, etc. Refer to the Canon camcorder forum if you want details.

The XH and XL cameras are HDV format... if you want the "BEST QUALITY IMAGE POSSIBLE WITH HD", it won't be these. If you want very nice quality for the price, they're worth a look.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 18, 2009 at 7:14:28 pm

the XL-H1s has an hd-sdi pipe out the back. At 1.5GBs, it's tough to beat that feature when combined with a few other tools, like the aja ki pro or the aja i/o...(not to mention renting an HDCAM deck).

Return to posts index

luis asencio
on Jun 29, 2009 at 3:31:38 pm

Thanks. which one would you recommend for the best High Def quality?

Luis

Innova Video

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Jun 29, 2009 at 4:19:34 pm

Well, as was already mentioned, the XL-H1s has the ability to output through HD-SDI, so if you record externally to another device (whether it be a computer connected through an AJA product or a VERY expensive HDCAM deck), it would give some of the best quality available over anything else in that price range.

However, depending on what you want to do with the camera, this is probably ridiculously impractical, and is really only an option in a studio setting, so forget all that I just said.

From what I've seen in some of your other posts and the replies you've received, I'd say an XL-H1s would be GREAT for you... just get one and shoot with it; the capabilites are endless.

I noticed you posted in another forum that you were considering the HV30; for it's price, it's a nice little camera that has surprising abilites, but it is in no way 'professional'. I recommended it to my uncle for taping his kid's basketball games, but I'd never recommend it to someone for serious production/filmmaking. The XL will serve you MUCH better (better form factor, professional controls, proper professional mic inputs, interchangeable lens, and altogether better quality).

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 29, 2009 at 6:49:54 pm

I'll keep this brief...

Don't want to be too much of a cheerleader, but I'm a HUGE fan of the XLH1. We've been using them since right when they first came out, and I must say it's just about my favorite camera ever.

Tons of features, stunning picture, more than two dozen tweakable parameters so you can really paint the camera, and lots and lots of real physical buttons, knobs, and switches that control the most-used features so you don't have to try to wade through endless on-screen menu items that much. It's just a great little camera. Not cheap, but great.

I hardly ever use the stock lens (I almost always shoot cine primes), but even on occasions that I did, I found the stock zoom to be a pretty nice lens indeed.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]