FORUMS: list search recent posts

Old camcorder with dual lenses??? anyone remember

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Bush
Old camcorder with dual lenses??? anyone remember
on Apr 16, 2009 at 3:12:05 pm

Ok sorry if this is the wrong place for this, and sorry since it is just a silly nostalgia question BUT...

Does anyone out there remember a unique 2-lens camcorder (for the consumer market I think) that had the dual lenses mounted one above the other? I believe one was a standard zoom lens while the other was a wide angle fixed lens. The cool thing was you could cut or dissolve between them on-the-fly, making for what was (as a youngster just learning) some really neat effects for the time. This would have been the early 90s most likely... from what I recall it was a full-size VHS shoulder cam... but I could be way off on that. I also want to say it was either sharp or panasonic that made it but again, the only thing I truly remember is the dual lens system...

Anyone seen/remember this?

Thanks.

scott

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
Re: Old camcorder with dual lenses??? anyone remember
on Apr 19, 2009 at 1:13:10 am

I remember a thing called the "Duo-Cam" from Samsung. It had a lens for the video CCD above a lens for the stills CCD.
My old Super 8 film camera has a 3 lens barrel that rotates. Very retro.

Return to posts index

Scott Bush
on Apr 19, 2009 at 5:58:41 pm

Nah, Matthew, I remember that Samsung thing, too - was actually fairly recent. The one I'm talking about would have been older than that early or mid 90s - I doubt it even took stills - and would have been pre-digital. BOTH lenses were for video.

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Apr 19, 2009 at 10:58:08 pm

I think I remember something from when I was a kid. My father bought his 1st video camera in 1984 which was a JVC camera head that looked like a Super 8 camera, but had a VHS portapack recorder (I had to carry it and there wasn't much "Portable" about it!!).
I can remember another version of the camera that had two lens's on a rotating barrel, I think one was a mid range zoom, the other a longer range zoom.

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Apr 19, 2009 at 10:45:55 pm

Found this one
http://www.labguysworld.com/Museum008_025.htm

Return to posts index

Scott Bush
on Apr 20, 2009 at 2:42:46 am

Heh, no not that either - not THAT old. It didn't rotate - you could switch between them on the fly, while recording - dissolve or cut between them. One was fixed, wide - the other a zoom lens. Was a camcorder - no shoulder pack or anything needed.

Thanks for the link, though. Pretty cool.

Return to posts index

Andrew Haley
on Apr 27, 2009 at 6:28:20 pm

When I was in High-School (88-92) the head of the Math Dept had one of these. He had a small businees creating math teaching videos, and there were a couple times he taped a musical or two with it (I was in the Choir). I was just at the begining of my interest in video and film production, and for the life of me, can't remember any specifics of the camera, and I remember the results were realitivly poor, with problems lineing up the shots between the two lenses ect. All that said... the end result was better than many other single camera jobs I'd seen.

So to answer your question, yes I remember/saw one of those, but as far as a make and model.... sorry, don't know, although for some reason I want to guess Panasonic...

--Andrew

Return to posts index

Scott Bush
on Apr 27, 2009 at 7:03:34 pm

Cool! I was starting to wonder if I'd dreamed it! I remember when I was trying to buy my first camera (consumer level) I had my eye on it - but was convinced otherwise after a demo, mostly because of picture quality. It was at the end of its run and much better lenses and CCDs were available in smaller packages and I went with a hi-8 -- but I remember being very intrigued by the possibilities. It wasn't so easy to create a dissolve with consumer equipment in those days, especially not without significant quality loss. Thanks for responding!

Scott

Return to posts index

Frank Nave
on Oct 22, 2014 at 5:24:23 pm

I just joined and came across this old post. I actually own a Sharp Twin lens video camera and it is old. If anyone wants to see it I can post an image and BTW it's for sale

Return to posts index

Scott Bush
on Oct 22, 2014 at 6:28:07 pm

I'd love to see pics. Thanks! :)

Return to posts index

Frank Nave
on Oct 23, 2014 at 3:31:52 pm

check out the latest post. I attached two pics, a bit yellow (damned incandescent) I have others and can send to you fdnave@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Frank Nave
on Oct 23, 2014 at 2:58:28 pm
Last Edited By Frank Nave on Oct 23, 2014 at 3:15:41 pm

Well here it is and it's for sale 609.820.9235

Return to posts index

eugene kang
on May 14, 2009 at 2:34:31 pm

A friend gave one to me a long time ago... I remember seeing it in shops when I was a kid too... it was really expensive then.

From memory it was a Sharp model, had a spring-loaded lenscap that was attached to the body, and the first (or one of the first) color LCD viewfinders (with pretty awful resolution). It also recorded audio in stereo, and had RCA outputs on the side underneath a flap. One lens was wide, one was zoom. It wasn't a shoulder-mount camera though, it was a handycam-style camera.

This is the only photo I can find of it... is it the one you had in mind?

http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/1995/mutantmaterials/plasticgi...

Return to posts index

Scott Bush
on May 14, 2009 at 3:12:03 pm

Wow eugene! That may be it... I still remember a larger version of it, but that's the right idea and the lens mount is totally right, so maybe my mind is just playing tricks on me. I ended up buying an 8mm camera after they compared the picture quality side by side in the store, so it was definitely during the handycam era - but it also wasn't any more expensive than the one I bought, so it may have been an older model. Either way, that's definitely the same lens system! How did you find that picture? I've been searching for ages! Thanks!!!!

Return to posts index

eugene kang
on May 15, 2009 at 2:22:18 am

It took a bit of browsing through google images. :)

If I didn't throw it out a few years ago, I would be able to give you the model number and some clearer photos!

I don't remember other cameras with two lenses, but I never looked around and I was really young at that time too. That one just stood out because it had two lens barrels. It was either Video8 or Hi8.
I remember the wide angle sensor being pretty soft and crappy.

Kodak's V570 reminded me of it... 23mm in a compact is pretty cool!

Return to posts index

Michael Jack
on Sep 8, 2013 at 11:15:39 am

Don't know if this post is still accurate but I know what camera you're looking for:
The camera is the Sharp VL-MX7.

Return to posts index

Scott Bush
on Sep 8, 2013 at 11:14:24 pm

DUDE?!?! are you kidding me?

First, thanks for the info. I never did confirm the model number.

BUT, I JUST looked at this thread the other day for the first time in YEARS, and here you are posting two days later?! That's like the 3rd or 4th time that's happened to me on the cow too... wonderfully creepy!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]