FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone know of a modular viewfinder?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Ghast
Anyone know of a modular viewfinder?
on Apr 12, 2009 at 9:21:25 pm

Im looking for a electronic viewfinder that accepts some sort of standard video in, it doesnt necessarily have to be made for a particular camera, just a standalone piece that i can build a mount for. If your wondering why, its because im using a camera thats like a SI-mini, just a sensor basically, and im looking to custom build it into a functioning camera.

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
Re: Anyone know of a modular viewfinder?
on Apr 13, 2009 at 9:06:41 am

The RED 1 EVF is like this I believe.

Do you need it just for framing or generally what most viewfinders are used for...
1-Focus,
2-Exposure,
3-Framing,
4-Colour Balance check (if you need a colour VF).

Most OE viewfinders can be rigged in this manner too. Just apply 12v to the correct pins and feed monochromatic VBS signal from your sensor post process to the correct pins. Check with some techs if they have damaged cameras and see if they can release the VF and wiring diagram to you.

Return to posts index

David Ghast
on Apr 13, 2009 at 6:03:10 pm

Ill need it in color. So im going to have to hotwire a red EVF? Theres no plug n play solutions around that are camera agnostic?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 13, 2009 at 6:23:53 pm

[David Ghast] "Theres no plug n play solutions around that are camera agnostic?"

Plug-n-play? Probably not, I think at best you'll have to do some wiring and some figuring out what goes where.

I'm not sure if you can use a RED finder or not. I inquired about that from some RED folks a while back because I wanted to use a RED finder on another camera. I wanted it, because the RED finder is basically an AccuScene viewfinder (which is just about the best most badass finder going, and the finder that is used on the Panavision Genesis)... except that the RED version is a whole heckuvalot cheaper, a fraction of the price of the off-the-shelf AccuScene. The AccuScene is a killer 720-line finder, but unfortunately it is roughly the price of a good low-mileage late-model used Buick. I was basically told "no way, no how," that the RED finder had been converted into such a proprietary thing that it could not be made to work with any camera body other than a RED, and that it could not be turned back into a works-with-anything AccuScene.

Now, whether that's actually true..... I dunno....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]