FORUMS: list search recent posts

paranormal experts

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
grinner hester
paranormal experts
on Mar 14, 2009 at 3:29:12 pm

I am starting a new show mixing comedy with ghost hunting and stumbled upon something I can't put my finger on:
http://grinnerhester.com/wtf.wmv
I've treated this in no way. Real time first then slow mo.

ideas? I am open minded to any explainations.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: paranormal experts
on Mar 14, 2009 at 5:15:03 pm

That's just a little ectoplasm dripping down your lens filter.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Mar 15, 2009 at 1:44:32 pm

It would indeed appear that I have been slimed.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 16, 2009 at 3:05:35 pm

Assuming you didn't eat a jelly sandwich before the shoot, and that you don't need 3-d glasses to watch this, it kind of looks almost like an old-fashioned tube burn or blooming. Were you using IR or UV emitters for supplemental lighting?

You say you didn't treat the footage, but why does it look like you have some film scratch artifacts happening in there mid-way? You can get color weirdness like this sometimes if the camera is near a powerful magnetic field, or maybe under a power conduit in the ceiling overhead. Is all the footage like this, or just a section? What were the circumstances around the shot, before and after?

I don't buy a paranormal explanation for any of it, but it makes a fun technical puzzle to solve. Need more data.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Mar 16, 2009 at 3:21:42 pm

No IR or UV.
Dunno about the artifacts you are seeing that look like film scratch. It's very grainy because it was pitch black in the dungeon so I have the camera as wide open as it'll go. Shooting on a Sony FX-1.
The building has had no power to it for several decades.
Circumstances before the shoot... many murders since the early 1800s. This Hotel served as a station for the undergruond railroad. The room we were in at the time was for the slaves... a place to make em realize they were about to be in a better place. The Hotel flew both flags during the civel war, depending on wehich troop was in town at the time. It housed folks ranging from Al Capone to Jesse James back in the day.
The night before we were there, phycics were there so things seemed to be "stirred up" according to the caretaker.
Heres the finished pilot:
http://grinnerhester.com/MorseMill.wmv
or the vimeo version:
http://vimeo.com/3667406
I think this show has legs. My quazi disbelief but ironic fear in every room is reffreshing compaired to the coockie cutter ghost shows today. My coming clean at the end about what I did and did not do to treat the footage will be the selling point of this show. This way they will always be entertaining but never bunk.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 16, 2009 at 7:27:25 pm

I think you just have a badly gelled red light you're turning on and off:-)

You know, I really hate these ghost hunting video shows that never ever come up with anything conclusive... but I WOULD watch one done as pure comedy, a la a "ghost hunters meets Reno 911" kind of thing. Played as if its straight, but completely for laughs. The ghost hunter thing is falling into the same tropes as a lot of the discovery chanel shows: fake forced drama developing between cast members gets as much or more coverage than the actual show subject matter. That style of program is ripe for skewering.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Mar 17, 2009 at 11:46:53 pm

I like that a lot, man. That would fly.
I had no problem getting a submission release from A&E today. Lookin' forward to seeing what happens...

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Mar 21, 2009 at 5:54:17 pm

You've looked at the lense and any filters you had used for moisture I assume?

It's weird...it's like it changes focal distance at the end...are you on auto focus there (or making a focus adjustment?)

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Kerry Brown
on Apr 13, 2009 at 2:07:06 am

Looks like a spider web string dropping from the ceiling.

KB

Return to posts index

Michael McKiddy
on May 4, 2009 at 2:36:15 am

Hey!! We're huge fans of ghost hunting and "Ghost Hunters" on the SciFi Channel, and we're working on a comedic web series that's "Ghost Hunters" meets "Reno 911"!

http://www.ParanormalBurbank.com

Steve from "Ghost Hunters" is even gonna be making an appearance on our show in October!! We could use the support and help getting the word out there, so check it out and let me know what you think!

Best of luck with your show as well!!

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]