FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing PAL and NTSC

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Gold
Mixing PAL and NTSC
on Mar 8, 2009 at 4:22:36 pm

I'm shooting a doc in the US on a panasonic HDX900 at 720p/24p. The producer is now in Israel shooting with a different DP and they cant find an HDX900 so they are shooting on an HVX 200. Is it correct to set the HVX200 to shoot PAL at 25P? is there any better setting to use to ensure a better outcome in Post? thanks!
dg

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Mixing PAL and NTSC
on Mar 8, 2009 at 5:35:36 pm

If you do as you suggest, you'll need to "standard convert" the PAL footage to NTSC. This will be expensive. Whatever speed you shoot in Isreal it should be NTSC to match the footage here. I've hired crews there with NTSC Betacams, I'm sure you can find an appropriate camera. I'd suggesy you find a Varicam or F900 and shoot at 23.97 and downconvert on the way into your NLE. Another alternative would be to ship a NTSC HVX200 to the crew; I guarantee it will be cheaper than the standard convert.

JS

Return to posts index

Daniel Gold
on Mar 8, 2009 at 5:50:12 pm

Thanks John
I just spoke to the DP in Israel

He has chosen a sony EXCAM and is shooting at 720p/24p to match my 720p/24p footage shot here in the states on the hdx900

My 2 concerns about that are:

1. if he shoots at 24p under the 50hz lights both fluorescent and otherwise in israel - will he not get that pulsation/flicker problem?

2. will there be any compatibility issues in post for mixing footage shot on the HDX900, HVX200 with P2 cards and now the sony EXCAM on the sony card technology?

Thanks for your reply - I so appreciate it

Best
Dan

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Mar 8, 2009 at 6:15:00 pm

The Israeli crew will know that setting the shutter to 1/100th of a a second will eliminate any flicker, and no problem mixing formats. Issue remains as to how you'll "transport" the media off his SXS card to you in the states, but you must have already considered that with thinking that you'd be shooting P2 card on HVX200.

JS

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Mar 8, 2009 at 6:34:13 pm

I would think it best to shoot the entire project in one format, or the other; either all PAL or all NTSC. I gather the final use will be in NTSC so best to stick with that format. Perhaps more to the point: the HVX 2000 and the HDX900 have many different possible gamma etc. settings. If you are the boss DP, decide on what settings you want, and have the Israelis mimic that as best they can. I would imagine that if they are shooting exteriors, they will have lots of high-contrast situations to cover. In that case, settings that reach best into the shadows and also handle the highlights would be called for.

Hopefully in post you will have the time and means to color/contrast correct, shot by shot, so that subtle differences between your footage and the overseas footage can be balanced out -- or else, it could be that stylistically it would be a great idea for the Israeli footage to look strikingly different.

Rick Wise
director of photography
and custom lighting design
Oakland, CA
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.recessionvideo.net
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

John Sprung
on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:40:07 pm

Actually, he is all in one format, 720p/24. That's a good place to be. The best way to go is to finish in 720p, then downconvert with 3-2 to NTSC, and frame for frame 4% fast for PAL. 720p is nicely oversampled relative to both SD formats, so they'll both look better than native NTSC or PAL shooting.

-- J.S.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]