FORUMS: list search recent posts

DoF convertor P+S Technik experience

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Blair
DoF convertor P+S Technik experience
on Mar 8, 2009 at 4:49:53 am

We rented and used a P+S Technik adaptor on Friday at the recommendation of people on here...most notably Todd Terry. I have to admit I was a little nervous using it as I hadn't used a prime lens since 1991 and had never used film lenses with a video camera.

I was even more worried after reading the P+S Technik Pro35 manual's sections on camera shading, possible artifacting from the oscillating ground glass target etc.

Man...what a waste of energy doing all that worrying. I installed it without even looking at the manual... our custom SDX-900 lens and scene files were fine with it...and it was an absolute breeze to use. And boy, I haven't gotten that kind of depth of field in...well...18 years! I wasn't as blown away by the temporal or aesthetic quality of the images as I thought I might be, but then again, over the years I've worked really hard developing lighting techniques and video lens tricks to get a pretty convincing filmic look already...so maybe that was why that part of it wasn't as striking.

But...Todd told me in a private email that if I used it, I'd want one. Guess what? I want one! I love the ability to set your exposure with the lens, THEN adjust the light level with the Pro35's own iris at the back of it. Plus you can reduce it still with the camera's built in ND or with drop in ND filters. It's great to be able to say, "I want to shoot wide open" even on a bright, sunny day...and then do it without using a crap load of front glass filters!

So if others have thought about using these on a project but were hesitant because of any fear...man...the P+S is a breeze.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: DoF convertor P+S Technik experience
on Mar 8, 2009 at 5:01:07 am

[Chris Blair] "Guess what? I want one!"

Told you so. :)

[Chris Blair] "I love the ability to set your exposure with the lens, THEN adjust the light level with the Pro35's own iris at the back of it."

Yeah, that's thats the great thing. To my knowledge P+S Technik makes the only converter that will do that... one of my favorite (and most useful) features.

Glad the shoot went so well. I figured you were worrying a bit for nothing... but didn't want to say "It's a breeze," because it can be a little intimidating especially for those not used to shooting 35mm or lighting and blocking for film rather than video. But if you know what you're doing, it's pretty much a snap.

Post some footage sometime!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]