FORUMS: list search recent posts

35mm shot to matchmove

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Nikitin
35mm shot to matchmove
on Mar 5, 2009 at 11:34:43 pm

Hi guys,
I'm going to be matchmoving and doing compositing on a scene that will be shot on 35mm film in a few days. What format should I ask for, as far as footage delivery goes? It's going to be a very FX-heavy shot, so, pretty much, whatever format I ask for is the format I'm going to get. 4K? 2K? Any other options?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: 35mm shot to matchmove
on Mar 5, 2009 at 11:39:34 pm

Check with your post house. 4K is best but may be too much for the house to handle.

Rick Wise
director of photography
and custom lighting design
Oakland, CA
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.recessionvideo.net
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Michael Nikitin
on Mar 5, 2009 at 11:43:16 pm

Thanks, Rick. Any other options out there, when going from film? We have not decided on the post house, yet.
Also, something to keep in mind is my system's capability. I would prefer to do everything on my own MacBook Pro, but I don't know if it's going to be able to handle 4k (or 2K, for that matter.) If it doesn't... what would be the next best thing, as far as transfer to digital goes?

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 5, 2009 at 11:57:09 pm

If you haven't read it already, this article is pretty good: http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/the-truth-about-2k-4k-the-future-of...

I admit I was one of those guys who misunderstood the difference between "4k" and 4k.

A Macbook Pro?
For the real 4K?
Hmm.

Return to posts index

Michael Nikitin
on Mar 6, 2009 at 12:09:15 am

Richard, I know where the "Hmmm" is coming from, and it's a perfectly reasonable "Hmmm", but a MacBook Pro is what I've got. :-)
Having said that -- I can probably get access to other, more powerful machines. But for now, I'm just testing the waters, trying to see what formats are available, and what I'd need to work with them. So, let me ask you this... if not a 4K, and not a 2K, what's the next thing below them?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 6, 2009 at 12:38:03 am

[Michael Nikitin] "if not a 4K, and not a 2K, what's the next thing below them?"

The next notch down from 2K is 1080p HD.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Michael Nikitin
on Mar 6, 2009 at 12:48:27 am

1080p HD. Will look into it. Thanks, Todd!

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 6, 2009 at 12:40:52 am

There's a lot of debate and discussion.
I highly recommend asking Shane Ross over in the FCP and P2 forums.

When I was in a similar position as yourself, I ran into these two:
Question: Where am I going to store all the 4k/2k data?
Question: How am I going to process all the 4k/2k data?

I felt I would need an ioHD (or similar device) and because that will use the only firewire 800 on the MBP, I needed something like fibre card (aftermarket) for the drives, which means $$$.

Back to reality: I used--and still use--DVCProHD (aka P2), and it's more than plenty of resolution (although not perfect).

There are a lot of other folks I've read about using Apple Prores.

Anyway, because my short movie ("Poison") will be lucky to get an audience, I believe a DVD is where I'll be forced to distribute. So I shot, edited, and vfx'd with DVCProHD 720p/59.94. My vfx were pretty simple composite images via a locked-off camera. Nothin' fancy, but it fits the story. Another cool thing about DVCProHD is it can be 720/24pN, which might be a good fit for film.

Again, Shane Ross knows.

Return to posts index

Michael Nikitin
on Mar 6, 2009 at 12:56:42 am

Richard,
Storage is not really an issue. The shot I'm concerned about is rather brief (the whole film is under a minute, in fact). The tricky part is that it's handheld, half the room is green, and I'm going to need to matchmove a bunch of objects. Hence my intention to keep as much of the data as possible, both resolution and color sampling-wise.
I do have an Aja IoHD, as it happens, but in my experience, ProRes has been somewhat lossy. No horribly lossy, but noticeably so, and I really don't know if I want to deal with compositing and matchmoving something that went through ProRes conversion.
Sounds like 2K is the way to go, unless someone here (or on FCP forum, thanks for that referral) will explicitly warn me about processing 2k on a Mac Book Pro.
Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]