FORUMS: list search recent posts

help my show

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason stoddart
help my show
on Jan 29, 2009 at 6:15:13 pm

We produce a local music series, and i would like to step it up to the next level. I think our lighting needs the most improvement. We light everything with par 56 because we do not have the budget to buy expensive lights. We have 10 par 56s I put 500w bulbs in the right side for key light and 300w bulbs in the left side for fill. I intend to get more to put in the back to cast a back light on the performers.

this is a link to one of our shows. Its johnny neal one of the original Almandbrothers. If i could get any input on how to improve my show i would be grateful.

Return to posts index

Thompson Coles
Re: help my show
on Jan 29, 2009 at 10:49:27 pm

I would suggest trying to add some color to the background, and to try to add some backlight. I would either use an amber gel on the backlight, or allow the color from the background bleed over. A nice red and blue mixture would allow the background to pop out. I think the look you have isn't a bad one, they are just swallowed by the void behind them.

-my two cents-
Thompson

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 29, 2009 at 10:57:58 pm

Actually, I rather like the look of the void... but I'm a fan of limbo environments.

I think the look is actually pretty darn good, especially considering it's lit with just little PAR cans.

My biggest suggestion would be to move your instruments a bit so that everyone is not so evenly lit... maybe instead of straight on, the keys are hitting them at more of an acute angle... give a shadowed side and some nice modeling.

If you have enough instruments, give everyone a good backlight, perhaps maybe not straight back but at an opposite angle of your key. Here would be an opportunity to use some colored gels to liven things up.

Good job...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jan 30, 2009 at 12:59:04 am

What would happen if you used tiny Christmas tree style "fairy lights" along the back wall, in a nifty pattern, the idea being to let them go soft focus circles of confusion in the background?

Return to posts index

jason stoddart
on Jan 30, 2009 at 4:14:39 pm

that would be worth a look

Return to posts index

jason stoddart
on Jan 30, 2009 at 2:28:05 pm

thanks for the info. would you use spot light bulbs for the back light, and what wattage 200, 300,or 500. How far should the instrument be from the performer?

If i chose to get some better lights to mix with my existing lights would i have a color problem, or would the white balance fix that?

Return to posts index

jason stoddart
on Jan 30, 2009 at 4:26:25 pm

thanks,besides lighting do you see any impovements i can make?

this is the steeldriers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]