FORUMS: list search recent posts

Polarizing Filter

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Rawls
Polarizing Filter
on Jan 16, 2009 at 5:10:17 am

I mainly shoot wedding videos and there are times when I think a polarizing filter would help. I understand the way they work, but I have a few questions. Which would be better, a circular or linear? What is the difference between the two? Is there any difference in operation on a video camera (Z5U) and a DSLR?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Josh Rawls
Owner
Elite Video Services

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Polarizing Filter
on Jan 16, 2009 at 6:45:53 am

I stole this from a website on still cameras. Tiffen used to have a ton of info on their website but I couldn't find it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Circular Vs. Linear Polarizers

There are two types of polarizing filters available — linear or circular. Linear polarizers are more effective and less expensive than circular ones. But circular polarizers are needed with just about any camera that has a through-the-lens metering system, or autofocus.

The reason for this is that both of these systems use semi-silvered mirrors to siphon off some of the light coming though the lens. If that light is linearly polarized it renders either the metering or the autofocus ineffective. This means that you're going to have to buy circular polarizers unless you're shooting with a pre-1970's camera, or a view camera.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I found this by using a system called "Google".

Basically, the linear type may affect your autofocus or exposure but they're generally cheaper. The circular type will (should) always work.

My advice is to always get the good stuff. Not necessarily the most expensive but just not the cheap way out. Rob a bank if you need to. That seems to be very popular right now. Federal time is a cakewalk.

BONUS TIP!!!

Here's one for all of you. You can use a polarizer to take the shine off of a bald head or a cheek. Secondly, you'll have to open the iris a stop so it softens up that background a touch.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Josh Rawls
on Jan 16, 2009 at 1:24:46 pm

Thanks for the tips at the end. I found that other info with that amazing thing called google. I wasn't sure how it applied to 3CCD cameras. I thought the prism in the video cameras might affect the operation of the polarizing filter.

Josh Rawls
Owner
Elite Video Services

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jan 18, 2009 at 8:35:11 am

You're a good sport Josh.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck