FORUMS: list search recent posts

POV cam rig

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Kownacki
POV cam rig
on Jan 10, 2009 at 10:00:49 pm

Happy Moo Year!
On the Today show on NBC this morning, Al Roker was reporting from CES in Vegas and he was wearing this vest-style camera rig with what appeared to be an LCD monitor for him, one cam pointing at himself and there was a second pole-mounted camera on his back about 3 feet in the air above his left shoulder. It had a wireless remote to allow pan/tilt/zoom (security-system-style PTZ) and was quite small with its axis motors. Not sure if HD or not. Can anybody provide info on that unit?

Thanks

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: POV cam rig
on Jan 10, 2009 at 10:18:42 pm

I don't know about the POV rig, but Doggie Cam makes a wearable rig that will mount the camera out back of (and above) an operator, or in front. It's been used in a lot of music videos and a few movies.

We searched for something like that a couple of years ago for a commercial shoot... camera was supposed to be behind and above the camera op as he was walking through an office (the camera op... me... dressed as Donald Trump, actually). We couldn't find anything exactly like we needed so had to build a rig. It was bascially made out of a baby-carrying harness we bought from NorthFace, modified and rigged out with these struts in back to hold the camera, and struts in front to hold counterweights and a video assist monitor. I'll try to dig out some pics... it wasn't too costly... the harness was the most expensive part (and if I recall the Trump hairpiece was the most expensive part of the whole thing, ha).

Our homemade one was pretty uncomfortable... but it was fairly overbuilt as it had to hold up a heavy 35mm film camera way out back, so it had about 50lb of counterweight out in front, too. Something could be crafted much lighter and easier for a small camera.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Jan 10, 2009 at 10:52:08 pm

That's some seriously nice stuff on http://www.doggicam.com! This camera & pan-tilt unit on Roker was about the size of your fist atop a post straight up his back like a 3/4" conduit. I'm mostly interested in tiny size/weight of that setup.

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 10, 2009 at 11:45:29 pm

Yeah... DoggieCam always has some cool rigs that are pretty neat... and expensive.

Judging from the size of your description, sounds like the thing Roker was wearing was much more of a consumer product than some piece of pro equipment. Makes sense, after all he was at the Consumer Electronics Show. Don't know what it was, though, unless it was just one of the little regular pan-and-tilt remote heads that you see. Lots of people sell them, and they are all over eBay as well... but those are way too small to handle any kind of pro camera. For something little like an HV30 they'd probably be fine, but I imagine the pan/tilt mechanisms aren't very intuitive (probably have both speeds... on and off... haa).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]