FORUMS: list search recent posts

Todd Terry on Depth of Field Converters

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
Todd Terry on Depth of Field Converters
on Nov 19, 2008 at 5:32:45 pm

Todd mentioned recently that he'd written an article on DoF converters for the Cow Magazine -- well, he did, it's 4 pages of awesomeness, and it's up now.

It's part of our Visual Effects issue, with lots of other cool stuff, very much worth a free download. And a free subscription. :-)

To keep this supa-dupa on-topic, the article starts on page 36, and, for a limited time only, includes a shiny picture of Todd. Collect 'em all!

Yr. pal,
Timmy

Tim Wilson
Associate Director, CreativeCow.net
Associate Publisher, Creative Cow Magazine!

Return to posts index

Justin C.
Re: Todd Terry on Depth of Field Converters
on Dec 7, 2008 at 10:08:23 pm

Todd,

Thank you so very much for the article on DoF adapters. I've been emailing editors at various trade mags (digital content producer, DV, Videography) to do a shoot-out of different adapters and nada. Even though your article was just a brief sketch, it was a helpful one in that it creates a basic hierarchy of how they rate. But still, I would love to see a real indepth shoot-out between the Brevis35, the Letus and maybe two others.

Cheers,
Justin C.
Videographer & Editor
NYC

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Todd Terry on Depth of Field Converters
on Dec 8, 2008 at 12:26:40 am

My pleasure, Justin, I hope there was some useful info there.

Yes, a full-blown shootout would be cool... that would be especially useful among the lower-priced converters. I think at this point everyone is fairly aware that the P+S Technik works flawlessly, and the Redrock also works very well for a somewhat less-featured (and much less expensive unit)... but when you get down to the lower-priced units (Brevis, Letus, etc., and all their brethren) that's where quality, results, design, and ease of usability can vary wildly.

At this point, the best we can really do is search individual reviews for those products... and some of them have recorded some really spectacular images... but just as common are the horror stories of difficulty of use with some of the different brands, as well as some real quality-control and design issues. A lot of it goes back to the old axiom "You get what you pay for."

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]