FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX vs P2

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Johnson
XDCAM EX vs P2
on Nov 14, 2008 at 2:48:01 pm

I am in the market to purchase a new camera. I'm thinking about going with solid state media, but I'm not sure if I want to get the Panasonic HVX200A or HPX170, or the Sony EX1 or EX3.

I like a lot of the features of the Sonys, but how do the XDCAM EX and P2 formats compare? Is one better quality than the other? Is one easier to work with in FCP than the other? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Mike Johnson

Final Cut Pro Editor

Drury Outdoors

http://www.druryoutdoors.com

View Mike Johnson's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: XDCAM EX vs P2
on Nov 16, 2008 at 7:53:26 am

You'll see classes offered on the P-2 workflow all over the web. I have an on line class for Sony SxS cards.

Here it is but if you read this, you will owe me $295 (cash or PayPal)

1. Shoot footage to the cards.
2. When done:
A. Hook the camera to a computer via USB cable...
B. Remove the cards and put them into an express card slot or Sony USB reader.
3. Transfer the files to a computer. 14 minutes for 58 minutes of 1920x1080 footage
4. Begin editing.
5. Send me my money.

The EX cameras have a 1/2" 1920x1080 CMOS chip. Check the specs of your P-2 camera.

If it's 960x540 on 1/3" chips, you may want to reconsider.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: XDCAM EX vs P2
on Nov 18, 2008 at 9:29:05 pm

This question will never go away. :)

A bit of correction, like on the SAT. XDCAM EX is not parallel to P2, because, whereas XDCAM is a codec, P2 is a storage medium. P2 can store lots of data in different formats, assigned by your camera. The prosumer HD codec for panasonic is DVCPRO HD. Your question should be comparing XDCAM EX v. DVCPRO HD.

From a data point of view, the issue is the cards can't store ALL the data so some form of "unacceptable" compression must occur. Panny guys and girls argue that Panasonic is less cruddy than Sony and vice versa. With the Panasonic, there is fancy math that "magically" makes an HD signal. With the Sony, there is fancy math that "erases" the full raster data at persistence of vision, a long GOP.

Other more important factors, IMO, are how does the camera feel in your hand? Does the design match your idea of how a camera should look? (This is important when you pull it out of its case and everyone is looking to see the camera.) What are you going to do with it? What accessories are available that you also need, tripod, lights, matte box, storage, cases, dollies, jibs?

Both cameras are (relatively) inexpensive cameras for a reason.

Where's my $0.02?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]