FORUMS: list search recent posts

cinematography via photography?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corey Coker
cinematography via photography?
on Oct 14, 2008 at 5:35:32 am

Would it be advisable to learn cinematography by starting out with, in my case, a Canon e-400 SRL camera? I want to learn about the technical details of photography like lighting, aperture, shutter speed, lenses, etc, before I try renting a 16mm camera and making films.

I don't have a lot of money right now, nor do I have actors or a script to try blocking scenes with. Would I get any benefit from learning to take still shots before moving up to motion photography?

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: cinematography via photography?
on Oct 14, 2008 at 8:51:18 pm

Quick answer: yes! You can learn a lot from taking stills, a lot about composition, about lighting, about using natural light. You can shoot series of stills to make a photo storyboard.

If possible, work with a light meter. (You say you are going to eventually shoot film, not video.) Figure out the relative ASA of your digital still camera. Or, even better (but much more expensive) shoot film. In fact, shoot slides, since the margin for error is much smaller than with negative.

You can learn a ton this way.

Rick Wise
director of photography
Oakland, CA
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Thompson Coles
Re: cinematography via photography?
on Oct 16, 2008 at 4:56:59 pm

I Think that a Base knowledge in photography is essential to cinematography. It sounds a little extreme but go buy Ansel Adams book "the Camera" It will explain photography in ways that can be directly used in cinematography. I think it's the single best photography book for anyone wanting to learn the core use of film principals.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]